Chapter 27 - Lessons In Ruthlessness

I grabbed Elatha and wrapped air around us, lifting us to fly as fast as I could towards the Summer Realm

The screams and howls faded in the distance as we got farther away. Without warning, we dropped as my power failed. Reaching deep, I grabbed enough to keep us from smashing into the ground, but it was not a graceful landing.

The impact staggered me, and I fought to stay upright with pain spiking up my ankles and knees. Elatha had been knocked out of my grasp and as I reached for him, it seemed to get darker; the light fading. Again, I tried to reach for him and everything went black.

Blink.

A rocking sensation.

Blink.

Blurry shape above me. What?

Blink.

A voice talking to me. I knew that voice. Who was it? When I tried to make out the words, the voice faded away again.

Blink.

What was sitting on my chest? So heavy. Hard to breathe. My eyes. Why couldn't I open them? Concentrating, I managed to get my heavy lids to open slightly. Elatha looked down at me.

Blink.

A little clearer now when I opened my eyes, but still, that heavy weight on my chest. Again, Elatha was above me, forehead creased and eyes narrowed as he looked off into the distance. My thoughts seemed to wade through thick mud, bogging down before I could complete even one. 

It took me some minutes to notice we were in motion and a swirling sensation flowed around my body.

Was he pulling me? I'm in water? 

"Where? What happened?" I asked, my voice a bare wisp of sound to my ears.

Elatha's silver eyes flashed down to mine, and he peered intently. "Are you awake?" he asked. Even in my fogged state, his urgency came through. "There is no time to waste, but it won't work if you aren't conscious. We don't have a mate bond."

"What?" 

"Shannon, Princess, I need you to get rid of your clothes for me," he said, his tone serious with command.

"M'kay," I said drowsily and felt the change as cool water caressed bare skin.

"Good girl. Stay awake for me, Shannon. I need you to stay awake, okay?" he demanded. 

Gritty sand scratched my skin with waves covering my lower half as he laid me down on the shore.

"Ohhh... kay," I murmured. Everything was floating away again.

"Stay awake, Shannon!" he barked.

His urgency jolted my eyes open.

Elatha knelt between my legs as he looked down at me. I blinked at him, fighting to not give in to the lethargy pulling me under again.