Chapter 38 - Reckoning

The next two weeks went by in a blur of sleeping, feeding, and changing diapers, with occasional visitors to our chambers

The next two weeks went by in a blur of sleeping, feeding, and changing diapers, with occasional visitors to our chambers. Aidan and I had moved back into the rooms we shared with Loki, although I hadn't yet put Aidan in the nursery. He was still sleeping in a bassinet next to the bed, so that either Loki or I could lift him out to bring to me to nurse every two to three hours. I was exhausted all the time, barely having enough energy to get out of bed to take care of myself, let alone Aidan.

"Shannon needs more from you, Loki. Look at her. Look! She's not recovering the way she should." Frigga's voice penetrated my sleep, and I opened my eyes to see her holding Aidan, rocking him as she burped him.

I struggled to sit up, covering my chest, when I realized my nightshirt was mostly unbuttoned. Clearly Loki had been letting me sleep, holding Aidan to my breast for me so our son could nurse.

"What's wrong?" I asked, seeing Frigga frowning at me.

"You and Loki need to resolve your differences and get your relationship back on track. You've lost weight again since giving birth. Both Healer Moja and I are concerned about your and Aidan's health. You didn't have any spare weight to lose, as you were just barely recovering as it was. This has to change now."

My brain was still foggy from sleep and exhaustion. I didn't understand her meaning.

"I'm talking about sex, Shannon! Loki needs to provide energy for you and Aidan, like he did when you were pregnant. Just because Aidan isn't inside you, doesn't mean he isn't still getting all of his energy from you."

Frigga was clearly exasperated with us, and I felt like an idiot that I'd once again failed to understand the energy dynamics of being a goddess. I'd fallen into thinking like a human again.

"I told you I didn't want to force her or deceive her again, Mother." Loki was pacing, frustration and fear coming off him. It wasn't until I saw his body language that I realized he'd restricted the bond to hide his feelings from me.

"I'm sorry, Frigga. I guess I still haven't adjusted my thinking from being a mortal," I apologized.

Frigga laid a now sleeping Aidan back into the bassinet and came to sit beside me on the bed. She stroked my hair with one hand as she spoke. "Darling daughter, I do not blame you. I can only imagine what an immense adjustment all of this has been for you. You've been through so much. I admire your perseverance and strength."

Turning, she scowled at Loki. "Now my son, on the other hand, has no excuse! Loki has let you suffer exhaustion and energy depletion since you gave birth, because he's been too afraid to discuss this with you. I've had enough of his cowardice."

Loki flinched at her harsh words and hung his head.

"You two are going to work this out right now. I'm taking Aidan with me, so you can make all the noise you need to. I won't blame you if you feel the need to throw something at Loki, Shannon. He deserves it." Lifting the bassinet within a nimbus of golden energy, Frigga walked out of the room with it floating beside her.