Chapter 28 - Surface Bound

Waking early, we had a quick breakfast before Manannan, Mist, and I set out for the Tunnels of Glass

Waking early, we had a quick breakfast before Manannan, Mist, and I set out for the Tunnels of Glass. After taking Mist up to the water's surface, we sped through the rich sea life. As we wove our way through the various passageways, I noticed rays gliding gracefully through the water.

What had Shannon thought of all the different vibrantly coloured fish, and the interesting forms and colours of the glowing vegetation when she'd passed through these waters? I couldn't help but remember our first underwater exploration together when we'd visited the Great Barrier Reef on Midgard. Despite being attacked by bunyip, we'd had fun playing with the dolphins and zipping through the water. Norns, but I missed her. To be so close to catching up to her, yet still not with her, was an agony of endurance. 

After swimming for twelve hours and while taking our second break, Manannan warned us that the route would get even more convoluted.

"Make sure you stay close, as there are some sharp turns up ahead. We've got another three hours before we reach the Tunnels of Glass."

"The vegetation is creating enough light in the water that visibility is pretty good," Mist commented. "I'm able to keep track of you really well, but if we hit a dark section, I'll need you to either come closer to the surface or slow down for me."

"I will. Loki, you'll see Mist every time you breach, so if you lose me, give a shout and stop. As a dolphin, your clicks will bounce off the walls, and I'll get the message even if you've lost sight of me, so I can double back for the two of you. That way, you don't take a wrong turn, and I have to track you down."

"Reasonable precaution," I agreed, and Mist nodded.

Despite my impatience, we kept to a more moderate pace as the passages got progressively narrower until Manannan stopped and headed to the surface.

"This is the entrance to the Tunnels of Glass. I'll need to tow the two of you from here. Ready?" he asked.

Although I wasn't thrilled by the idea, I trusted Manannan would get us through. I changed back to myself and nodded.

"Frankly, I'd do anything to find Shannon," I said.

Mist smirked. "I'm about to get squeezed through slick wet tunnels at the mercy of a hot sexy god, while holding another hot sexy god. What's not to love?"

I snorted in amusement. There was no attraction between Mist and me, but I enjoyed her mischievous teasing of the sea god.

Manannan opened his mouth to say something, changed his mind, and his lips twisted in a wry smile. His eyes travelled over her body in a slow, thorough assessment, meeting her gaze with distinct male appreciation.

Mist sat on the rock ledge, relaxed and not in the least disturbed by his lingering perusal.

"So should I let you two quench that obvious lust first, or are we going to penetrate these tunnels together?" I quipped.