CHAPTER V

Specs and I were not the only ones who had managed to get Jester. Iceman and Slider, much to my disappointment but not surprisingly, managed to lock onto him as did Maverick and Goose. Though an argument could be made that the later group's win didn't actually count considering they broke the hard deck, they only did so after Jester did. Either way, a win wasn't enough for the cocky pilot and, whether out of stupidity or celebration, he decided to buzz the tower on his way in. He and Goose are now in Viper's office, most likely getting one hell of an earful.

While all the rest of the pilots had made their way off to who knows where, I decided to hang back. I need sometime to myself to think. Since I can't be in the sky, where I've found I think the best, I have to settle for leaning against mine and Spec's jet. I rub my hand over my name roughly painted onto the side near the front of the cockpit, letting my mind run wild.

I knew that eventually I'd have to hear a comment like the one I got from Jester, but I was hoping it wouldn't be so soon. But, in honesty, it's not just him. Whether they mean to or not, pilots and instructors alike have made it very clear that I'm an anomaly. I don't know how many more times I can hear "and lady" before my head explodes. Sure, I have Specs, Goose, and Maverick on my side and I'm happy for that, but they can only do so much in breaking down that barrier between me and everyone else.

The sound of a door opening breaks me from my thoughts. I know I'm not supposed to be in here in the first place and, if a superior officer were to find out, I'd probably be right next in line to go to Viper's office. Thankfully, it's just Maverick who peeks his head through the door before making his way inside.

"Heard you had quite a day," I jest, causing the pilot to jump and whip his head towards me. I push myself off the jet. "I mean, buzzing the tower? Really?"

"Guess it wasn't such a great idea, huh?" He smiles bashfully. "What are you still doing here?"

"I needed to think about some things. In a perfect world, I'd take one of these planes up, but just being in here will have to do." I make my way in front of him, leaning against the wall. "What about you?"

"Guess I could say the same as you." He gives me a small smile. "Specs told me you got Jester." I hum. "He also told me what he said to you after the fact."

"Did he tell everyone?" I look towards the ground. In all honesty, I just want to leave the conversation in the past, something I feel would be quite hard if the other pilots found out.

"Just me as far as I know. He pulled me aside in the locker room before Goose and I got called in to Viper's office." He's silent for a moment. "He shouldn't have said that to you. Ice and Slider were gloating about them getting him earlier. Goose and I were too."

"Honesty," I meet his eyes once more, "I knew it would happen eventually. Guess I thought it would be further into our training and not from an instructor. But, can't go back and change it now."

The two of us sit in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, each of us letting our own mind wander. As silly as it sounds, there's something quite soothing about just being with Maverick in this type of environment. Everything always seems to be full speed ahead with him. For the first time since I met him, he's just letting himself be.

"Do you have a way to get home?" He asks, breaking the silence. "I know Charlie drives you here, but something tells me she already left."

"I was just planning on walking. It's a bit of a trek, but it won't be too bad."

"I could give you a ride." Under my gaze, he shrugs, putting his hands in his pockets. "I'm heading in that direction anyway."

"Will I have to be on that death machine of a bike?" I joke.