CHAPTER XI

After everything that's happened the past week,—Valkyrie's death and funeral, me admitting my feelings to Maverick, playing wingman to Ice—I am more than ready to take sometime just to relax. Though the cafe of an airport may not seem like the most serene of places, I could not imagine a better place at the current moment. Besides, I've always loved airports. I could spend all day making up stories in my mind about the people I see there. Currently, there is a family in the far corner who has no idea that they're going to the East Coast to visit an ailing relative.

"I told her how tough it is here," Goose explains, referencing a conversation he had a few days ago with his wife. To his side, a toy plane and a single rose wait rest on the table. He hasn't stopped talking about her and Bradley since the volleyball game. It is sweet to see how proud he is of his family and, quite frankly, it makes me long for something similar. "You know, my ass dragging like an old tired dog." He motions towards his pilot. "I told her you don't even have a woman here."

I look out the window, trying to disguise the growing tint on my cheeks. In the reflection, I see Maverick look over at me and smile. "Oh really?"

"You know what she said?" Goose continues, popping a fry in his mouth. "She said, 'Oh he probably doesn't have one, he has eight.'"

The sound of the two of them laughing causes my heart to sink. It's only now that I'm realizing that, technically, Maverick and I never agreed on anything the night of Valkyrie's funeral. We both told each other that we share feelings, but that alone doesn't make us exclusive. We didn't really talk about much of anything. What if that's all I really am? Just another notch on his bed frame. Somehow, I manage to force out my own chuckle.

Even if I am, do I really want to risk hearing him actually say it? How the hell would I even bring up the topic of our situation? 'Hey Mav, remember that night we slept together after I came from my best friend's funeral and told you that I didn't want to forget our hook up and have it be a one time thing and we both found out we like each other? What exactly does that mean we are?' I don't even know if I want to know the answer. Ignorance is bliss after all.

"So Lucky," the pilot's voice calls me back to the conversation, a playful smirk on his face, "what is so fascinating on that tarmac out there? I would think you'd be sick of seeing planes by now."

I shrug, trying to push down the fluttering in my stomach that I get just by merely looking at him. Curse that man and his abnormally attractive face. "It's calming to me I guess. Besides, they're not F-14s. Those are going to haunt my dreams for the rest of my life."

"You and me both," The RIO grumbles. "Though mine is going to be about a certain pilot who is a terrible wingman and leaves their partner only to end up getting shot down."

Maverick puts his head in his hands as I stare at him in shock. "That's how Jester got you the other day? You said your partner messed up!"

"As I said in the locker room that day, it'll never happen again!"

Goose smiles, playfully punching Maverick in the shoulder. "I know man. I'm just messing with you." He looks out the window, noticing a plane disembarking. "They're here!" He practically leaps out of his chair, rushing for the door. One would think he was a kid on Christmas with how excited he is.

"Fair warning about Carol," Maverick says as we make our way out of the cafe, "she's a bit...eccentric."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Oh, you'll see." I can't help but smile at the sight of Goose reuniting with his family. They don't care about the other people around them that may be looking, they're just happy to see each other. As the two adults kiss, Bradley tugs at his father's pants, doing everything in his power to get his attention. Eventually, he bends over and gives his son a huge hug. "They're cute, huh?"