Chapter 17

•~

•~

"I don't think I'm making myself clear here, that girl has spent enough time crying because of you two imbeciles. Hurt her again, and I'll be forced to retaliate."

~

Season 3 Episode 12
"The Ties that Bind"

Klaus Mikaelson was the kind of man who felt and thought too many things at once but would never truly admit to them.

For it would mean having to face his worst fears.

He killed, he ruined, he brought chaos to the very ground he walked upon and he rained fire over those who dared defy him.

Klaus Mikaelson was the great evil of the world, the monster in children's stories, the man mothers warned their daughters of.

But no darkness can truly survive without a spark of light, right?

For Klaus, that little spark of light was her.

The her who betrayed her family for him, who lost her friends, dared to break out of her shell, step out of her comfort zone, stand against everything she believed was right. Just for him.

Holly Salvatore was an extraordinary woman.

The kind of woman prepared to do anything for the people she loved, selflessly put everyone above her. Her own happiness always came last and her life was deemed less important compared to everyone else.

Within the walls of his cave, the darkened space brewing with his own hatred, she was a breath of fresh air that he desperately needed.

Over the span of the few months that they had known each other, Holly had managed to carve her place within the hole that represented his soul.

Klaus had gotten more than he bargained for, and even that was not enough to rid him of the urge he had for her. To hold her, to cherish her, to love her for the rest of their immortal days.

Holly had become his haunting thought. One he couldn't seem to get rid off no matter how hard he tried. And he didn't want to.

Klaus feared. Her, what he felt, them. He feared the effect she had on him, the hold she held and how easily he would succumb to any of her wishes. He feared his own soul for he knew that the darkness within it would ruin her.

And she was too bright to be tainted with his blood stained hands.

Klaus only had one way to deal with his own fears. Running.

He would turn away, wreck chaos and run from the one thing confusing him without ever looking back. It was easier, rather than facing his own fears and standing against the problem, he covered before it.