Chapter 23

•~

•~

"Sempre e per sempre."

Always and forever.

•~

Holly had spent the reminder of the night in pure bliss.

She had allowed the presence of her family to mend her sorrow, to close her wounds and perish her hatred into the nothingess it truly was.

Elijah had driven them to a lake out of town, one nearest to the airport and filled with such natural beauty. Holly was in pure peace within it, allowing herself to bask within the silence of the night and the dances the stars had prepared for them that evening, charming their way into her hearts.

Almost making her defenses crumble, and force her to stay.

The sound of Kol and Caroline bickering in the distance was the only thing keeping her grounded. As she watched them rush past the borders of the lake, undeniably happy, Holly couldn't help but smile.

Elijah watched them as well, more than joyful for his reckless brother perhaps finally finding a lifeline to hold onto. Someone, to calm his insanity, someone to give his immortality meaning.

The two siblings sat in silence. Both conflicted with their own thoughts but neither sharing what burdened them.

Holly worried. And she couldn't exactly figure out where her worry was mostly projected.

For at one hand, she thought of her awaiting family and the pinging of her phone telling her there were more than estatic as well. Having given her mother her phone number if they needed to find her at the airport, and she obviously shared it with the rest of her family.

Her family.

It was a dream. For more than a century,
one she never thought she would see fulfilled.

And yet, here she sat, enjoying the coldness of the night slipping against her exposed skin with her brother, whilst waiting to board a plane to Italy where she would, she hoped, gain her family back.

"Something's been bothering you,"Elijah mused, breaking her train of thought which had already been taking a morbid toll.

Holly released a breath, contemplating whether or not she should reveal the cause of her sorrow to be the words of his siblings, or spare him the ache. But knowing he had had more than enough, having spent lifetimes and centuries between his siblings and their quarrels.

"It's nothing,"Holly murmured, her eyes falling to her lap as Elijah released a breath.

"I know it is more than nothing, but I also understand why you are skeptical to share. Whatever it is that my siblings have done, I know they will make it up to you in the best way they know how. They love you too much to allow you to go on for too long, hurt by them. They're simply-"