Kiss Bang

IT ALL HAS TO BURN. IT'S GOING
TO BLAZE. IT IS FILTHY AND
CAN'T BE SAVED. A COUPLE OF
GOOD THINGS WILL BURN WITH
THE REST BUT IT'S O. K.
EVERY PIECE IS PART OF THE
UGLY WHOLE. EVERYTHING
CONSPIRES TO KEEP YOU HUNGRY
AND AFRAID FOR YOUR BABIES.
DON'T WAIT ANY LONGER. WAITING
IS WEAKNESS, WEAKNESS IS
SLAVERY. BURN DOWN THE SYSTEM
THAT HAS NO PLACE FOR YOU,
RISE TRIUMPHANT FROM THE ASHES.
FIRE PURIFIES AND RELEASES
ENERGY. FIRE GIVES HEAT AND
LIGHT LET FIRE BE THE
CELEBRATION OF YOUR DELIVERANCE.
LET LIGHTNING STRIKE, LET THE
FLAMES DEVOUR THE ENEMY!
—JENNY HOLZER

Jesse liked to believe that he was a better person now than he was a few years ago. He was wrong. Very wrong, and he knew that, but one thing that he himself said stuck with him the most, and it was in a class, to teenagers, that definitely didn't care about anything he said or would say. One specific sentence drove him to completely rearrange his schedule for a visit to New Orleans, anyways.
'I hope this sets the example for
what you all want to change"
And what did he want to change?

Jesse was in front of his house. He had the week off, technically speaking, and he made well use of his free time when he could. Everyone knows that it's never used for good things, that's a more obvious no-brainer. It just went unsaid and unnoticed. As long as it wasn't at Hogwarts, it wasn't anyone's problem. That's what Jesse was told, and he grinned a bit too wide. That was the first indicator, and now that he thinks about it, everything he's done isn't surprising. Not if you know what to look for. People see what they want to see, and right now they'd be seeing a man who was taking a week off to be completely alone with his wife, who he was neutral towards in actuality. Most thought they were just private with love, so it was excusable.

They were alone, finally. They never did sit next to each other. No, they always say from afar, directly in front of each other. Keeping an eye on the other. Their kids weren't here- his oldest son was at Hogwarts, the others were with a man he knew, who he trusted enough to take care of three kids. He thinks. He reasoned it out with the fact that Carter could raise a sixteen year old well enough- so why not smaller children? Right?
It was fine, he thought. He could do this, he thought. He's killed others before, and this would be the most fulfilling one he'd ever have. He'd have to put his kids through more therapy than he'd ever see before afterwards...but he could lie and say it was a messy divorce. Like they would believe that.

For a while, Jesse and Serafina stared at each other. It was silent, and they did their own thing, waiting for someone to speak first. This was probably the most time they would ever spend together since their wedding night, and never again, for many reasons.

This was the end.

"I'm back!" Jesse called.
His kids knew.
He knew.
Everyone but Carter knew, and it was obvious, but nobody cared enough to be angry about it. He exchanged a few glances with his kids when they weren't being watched by Carter. This...was going to take a lot of cover up. He also had a huge weight lifted off of his shoulders. He washed his hands, a lot more than he did. Trying to cleanse what he did still.
He wasn't guilty, he was nervous. A massive burn of bridge he needed to get rid of long ago, and maybe, maybe, if he was lucky enough, he could convince Carter to stick around, for better or for worse.

He hopes it will work. He needs it to work.