shromance

Just dudes being bros
*Jason isn't my oc

Rapid doorbell ringing made his eyes snap open. Eden immediately sat up, squinting through the darkness. He was frozen in bed for a while as he listened, suspicious. He reached over to his nightstand and checked his phone for the time. It was awfully late. Who could need him without warning at three in the morning? Who would be ringing his doorbell with this much vigor? He swung his feet over the side of his bed, and opened his bedroom door, sneaking out of his room silently. He opened his apartment blinds in a subtle manner to see who was standing outside. In the dark, Eden could see a tall figure of a man. His heart dropped, a frown forming on his face.

"What the fuck do you want?" He yelled, being ready to start one hell of an argument. Behind the safety of a locked down door. If anything happened, at least his neighbors would know there was trouble. Eden felt himself getting heated while he waited for a response. "It's Jason. Could you let me in?" A tone of impatience was in his voice, but not annoyance. Never annoyance. Eden flushed with embarrassment almost immediately. "Oh." He said, hesitating for a moment before opening the door.

Eden opened the door to a very disheveled looking man, slash partner in crime, slash friend (he assumes). He's holding his side, blood visible on his hand in the dim light. "...There's been issues." Immediately, Eden pulls him into shelter. "Issues? Of the bleeding out variety?" Eden asked, quickly shutting and locking the door. Wandless magic works wonders. "Yeah!" Jason gave a weak grin, "Some guy stabbed me in the street." He states casually, which made Eden glare. "Why the hell did you come to me?" "Because I'm very afraid of doctors." Jason explained for the millionth time.

And, of course, Eden wouldn't ever turn Jason away when he needed help. "Just sit down at my table." He finally sighed. "I'll get first aid." As he wandered off in his own home to search for that, he remembered that ever since he started working with Jason, he always had to have medical supplies available. He soon returned with the red box, to find Jason sat at the table, as instructed. "I don't know how you get into so much physical danger." He mumbled as he approached, pulling a chair to sit behind him. "Where did you get stabbed?" "Left side." "Alright." He got gauze, sanitary spray, and wipes out. He turned back to Jason, and quickly looked unimpressed.

"Hey, idiot," He snarled, "You have to take your shirt off if you want your bleeding to stop any time soon." "I don't want to." "Well, you'll have to. You didn't come over just for moral support. Take it off, we're both dudes, it's fine." Jason was still and silent for many moments, like he was actually contemplating bleeding out. Eden rolled his eyes, and opened his mouth to say something sharp before Jason huffed. "Fine." He said, before removing his shirt. They had done this routine many times, and usually, Jason wouldn't take his shirt off. It made things a little more difficult, but this time, it was unavoidable.

He pulled his shirt up and over his head, discarding it, which Eden would wash for him later. His eyes turned back to Jason's back, unsuspecting.
He was shocked.
Eden ran his fingers down long scars on Jason's back, softly, his eyes taking the sight in with horror. The scars were soft now, as most scar tissue is, but still jagged, deep, and uneven. He was still silent in shock. He didn't know what to say about it. He didn't know if he should say anything about it at all. He swallows whatever words of comfort he may have said, whatever accidentally insensitive comment that could've potentially wormed its way into his head, instead focusing on the fact that Jason had real wounds that needed immediate care. His hands left the scars, and approached Jason's stab wound, with him trying not to look at the scars at all. With him pretending that he wasn't carefully tracing them for a mere few seconds with concern he hadn't had before.

Eden now understood why Jason didn't want to show his back to him. He did what he usually did when Jason came to him for help, and treated his wounds with as much patience and respect as he needed to. When he was done, and bandaged Jason back up, he didn't say a word. Neither of them did. He was glad that he couldn't see his face. He packed his things back to where they belonged, but remained seated.

Jason turned his head back to Eden, making Eden's face twitch in concealed alarm. "You saw them, didn't you?" Eden couldn't hold eye contact, looking away as he felt excessively guilty. "Yes. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have looked." "Nah, it's fine." Jason said, "At least it was you and not a stranger."
"What caused them, if I can ask?"
"My parents."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
"I'm sorry."
"It's fine."

Even more stiff silence.
You could cut this tension with a knife and come back with a good slice.

Breaking the silence, Eden cleared his throat, "I'll put this up, then. Don't try to move around too much for a few days. That cut could open up." He explained, before quickly standing up. But Jason stood up too, which made his brows crease in confusion.
He approached Eden, his expression unresponsive. Eden's heart beat wildly, but he didn't say a word. They were closer than they had ever been before, noses almost touching. They could feel each other's breath. He didn't lean away, simply staring at him with an equally blank face. That stare down would be among some of the most uncomfortable situations he would ever have to face. Coincidentally, so would the next few minutes.

Something he didn't expect happened, something that seemed so insanely out of the blue at the time.

What he did expect: Jason leaving his apartment, perhaps going silent for a few days. This was a tragically sensitive situation that opened a door that was unavoidable. In this scenario, they'd talk about it, and force themselves to move on.

Or just walking away, and they would go back to the usual monotony of both of their lives, but this time bearing secrets neither of them knew about each other before. In this scenario, they'd both ignore it, and they'd both never speak of it again.

The reality was more jarring than any of the other two combined. Somehow, reality left a lot more up for interpretation than absolute silence and avoidance.

Jason closes in and kisses him, putting a hand on Eden's jaw.
His lips were soft, in Eden's opinion.
And kind of warm. Pleasant.
And since Eden's eyes were wide open (he had never been taught how to kiss someone), he saw how relieved Jason looked. Like he was melting into him, but only in a very socially acceptable amount, considering this was a first kiss between two people. The kiss itself wasn't even bad. Jason wasn't too harsh. He was gentle and polite. It was textbook romance, and that intimidated Eden.

Jason eventually pulled away, leaving Eden with a red face and confusion. Feelings he had ignored for three years forced their way to the surface. Hell, he was feeling emotions he didn't even know the existence of. He backed away, trying to find something to say. When he did, they came out in a short, curt sentence that was far too harsh. "We can't do this tonight. Come back tomorrow morning if you're actually serious." Then, to reduce how mean that sounded: He tacked on a "Please."

Jason's face switched through many different emotions before nodding. "Okay." He said. He wouldn't force him to do something he wouldn't want. He put his shirt back on, said 'Goodbye' in an awkward, sad tone, and left again. And Eden was left alone, again- with whatever just happened playing in the forefront of his mind.

He ran a hand through his hair. "Jesus Christ."
Eden was not mentally prepared for the conversation in the next few hours. He looked at a clock on his wall with a bleak view. It was almost four in the morning. He needed to get as much sleep as possible while he could.