Chapter 3

Calm
I felt the kind of calmness that shouldn't be felt for a lady that just caught her boyfriend cheating on her with another lady. I sat down in my office going through the designs I drew for the valentine collection -a fashion brand needed.
I was expecting myself to be crying my eyes out with a big box of tissues and curled up on my couch watching crime documentaries but I wasn't feeling any sort of emotions at the moment. I wondered if it was a good thing that I was not grieving over Derick. Was I just being matured or did it have the words the stranger said to me or is it because of the stranger himself.
It wasn't womanly of me to feel so comfortable with a stranger I just met? But I have always been cautious of everything I do , maybe this should be that one time I was gonna be reckless, perhaps because life chose to be reckless to me.

I swiped down on my iPad, trying as much as possible to concentrate but it wasn't working, not when Mark has texted me for over 20 minute now and I sat contemplating if I should just go ahead and reply or shy away as usual, but I promised myself not to be the shy girl any more so I picked up my phone and typed back a quick response.
Stormi was not at home with me, the three year old was continuously fighting for a spot in my parents heart with me. Sometimes I wonder if I was the person that actually gave birth to her.
A ding sounded and I picked up my phone to see a text back from Mark
Mark : How's your schedule for the afternoon this afternoon
I quickly typed back my response : I'm done with my target for today so I'm a bit free right now
Mark: perfect! Will you like us to go over the birthday plans?
Me : eh, are you not supposed to be at work right now or is it your lunch break?
Mark : yes, I just finished a meeting and won't be occupied again for the next 2 hours

I was wondering where Mark was working, won't it get him in trouble for leaving the office for 2 hours? Except he is a senior management position that could afford him such luxury in the corporate world.
Another message came in from Mark asking if I was down for the meeting, I quickly sent him my response that I would love to meet up. Almost immediately, he sent me the location and I looked it up on the map. it was a small cafe 4 blocks or so away from here. I quickly packed up my working kit and kept them in a safe place, picking up my car keys from the basket on my table, and I walked to the door. It was mid-November in New York and it was a bit cold, so I ran back into my room and took a black jacket from the hanger in the closet. I used the elevator to get to the parking garage.
"Every single day I keep forgetting where I parked my car. Have you gone nuts?" I berated myself while pressing the remote key of my car.. the headlights of the car came up and I walked over to where I found it.. I quickly inputted the location of the cafe into my map.
Twenty-five minutes later I was at the cafe. I parked my car and walked into the café. it appeared I was a little bit under dressed for the place. The manager who sat on a right corner of the cafe was wearing a suit, even the lady sitting with him was in a suit. This place was practically a working environment so I should have expected that but my fuzzy brain didn't tell me that.
Mark was in a cozy corner of the cafe, he was seemingly enchanted by nature that sprawled in the outside. Jeez this man was much more hotter than I thought.... He had this charming aura around him, like someone who loves to take care of other people. His icy blue eyes fit perfectly with his slim face, his curly thick hair sat graciously on his head and stopped just above his curly, thick eyebrows.

I walked up to him and took the sit opposite him. " good afternoon " I said to him.. he withdrew his gaze from the window and turned to look at me, a flash of emotions flickered across his eyes.
He readjusted himself on his sit... " hello Lizzy " he replied , his voice sounded hoarse as if it had been stressed or that he had been shouting. I waved the thoughts out of my mind, we were only here to discuss my daughters birthday and I didn't want to get ahead of my self and budge into his private affairs.
" how was your day?" I inquired, trying to start a small conversation since he was only staring at me and not saying a word. We were not what you would call verbose, neither was there something to say regardless.
He sighed and placed his hands on the table close to mine " it was okay, just going through some meetings I couldn't skip, this was the only escape I could create from work" there was an unusual coolness about him.
I couldn't help but feel sad for him, " you looked stressed" I said " you sure don't want to go somewhere else like the park? Being in an open place might actually help you feel relaxed"
" you think so?" he asked stapling his fingers in a way that suggested that he was contemplating on accepting the offer. " we can leave our cars here and just walk across the streets" I chipped in . I mentally face palmed myself for being so stupid to suggest that. What if he doesn't want to walk or what if he is thinking that I am actrually stupid for suggesting such a thing

Author's note:
Thank you for reading my story ❤️
Please 🙏🥺 vote and comment. Thank you