Chapter 47

MARK'S POV

I held back my anger, even though the question tried my patience beyond words.

I stepped harder on the accelerator and the car sped farther down the asphalt.

I had a mental picture of Lizzy lying down on the bed, her legs wide spread, slick and wet, waiting for Derrick to slide in; and she would afterwards, mutter sweet, endearing sentiments into his ears when their lovemaking was spent.

The thought snapped off my mind immediately. The thought was driving me crazy.

It was imprinted in my mind and he couldn't seem to stop thinking about it. It was just as if

Derrick and I were taking turns in fucking her. That disgusting man. The anger made me suspect what I had believed when Lizzy told me it was a crazy timing.

It wasn't a crazy timing, they were just after my money! Scums! Gold diggers! I spat out mentally and matched on the accelerator again.

All I wanted to do was to pummel the damn bastard's face and watch him choke on his disgusting blood.

I never thought Derrick would come in this way, just as he had promised to retaliate when I got him arrested.

I never knew he had come indirectly with a woman, and thank God I discovered the whole plot earlier.

Samantha  was beginning to get worried. "Mark you're gonna have to calm down, ok? I still have much to do before I die, incase you -"

"Just drop it woman." I spat violently and she instantly kept quiet, never expecting to talk to her in the manner I just did. I knew instinctively that it had hit her deep down.

I apologized immediately and slowed down the driving, she understood why but didn't express herself fully as she had done before.

"So who is this lawyer of yours?" "A friend, but I didn't choose based on our being friends. I picked him strictly on your choice. He is the best around and I discovered that when I went searching for one. He hasn't lost a single case and he will do everything in his power if he understands that he won't be dealing with an ordinary person."

"Is that supposed to impress me" "Shut the fuck up Mark, don't blody try to change the topic." I was silent for a while.

"I want to ask you something Mark?" she said and I gave her the green light immediately.

"Don't be angry as I say this but there is a one-in-a-million chance that you're doing the wrong thing. Ok? Don't be crazy or mad at me but I am just saying my mind."

"What do you mean?" I asked, my brows slanting.

"Are you really certain that she is lying?" I sighed and ignored her question. She knew immediately that I didn't want to talk about it any longer.

" I know why I am asking you this. A woman carrying your child wouldn't joke about sensitive matters like this. In my opinion, you shouldn't have done what you did. Do you know how it feels? Taking your child away from you? Now you want the child back, you know how you felt when you discovered she was yours. How then would you expect her to let it slide? You should think about this. To be honest Mark"

"I am aware Samantha . But everybody is not the same. Let that sink in and please, shut up" she replied immediately

"Mark, I can't shut up. Remember I am not only your secretary, I'm also your friend and I will advise you how much I like, ok? Let that sink in."

"So... what do you wanna say" I cleared my throat. "I somehow got to know this woman a few years back but I had never thought that it was gonna lead to this. And Mark, she is a very good lady. I don't see any reason why she would do anything to hurt you. And do you know why I am supporting her? It's because there is every possibility that the whole thing was just a matter of coincidence. Think about it, ok?" I gave her a wry, bitter smile. People never get to understand you until they get themselves in similar problems. Only if she knew what I had been passing through for so long. "I have my reasons.

I want the child back. Yes, my child back ''Why are you being an asshole? She may have made a mistake.

And deep down, Mark, I know that there is someone who gives an actual hoot. For the few times I saw you guys, I saw something. Why would you keep hurting her?

You are pushing her to the wall and there's gonna be an extent when she will hate you. Only then will you know what you are doing." Mark sped into the compound.

It was a very beautiful bungalow with lush sidewalks and bright lights. There was a little amount of brightness in the sky. Mark killed the engine once he stopped in front of the garage door.

Samantha got down from the car and turned back to me, waving her hand and thanking me again and again.

After a gesture, she closed the door. The prepared documents were already on the brown file right beside him.

I gazed down at the documents and confusion began to set in. I couldn't stop it. I wondered if everything I was doing was good.

For the second time that month, I cried because of her.

But the tears coagulated to defiance. They made me more angry and I was going to do it. The words hurt but kept my cool.

And I got more angry when Samantha was the right person. I got down from the bonnet of the car to take in the marvellous sight.

It was simply marvelous. She smiled as she looked around from the car, a Cheshire-grin spread across her lips.