Chapter 8

Lizzy's Pov...

Mark and I sat in the car in the driveway of the place that had always been my home, neither one speaking for a time. Everything looked normal, but nothing was right and we both knew it.

Yes, he had been very benevolent and I would be immeasurably indebted to him. But we had only known each other for a few days now. And he was already asking me to be his wife. Not be his wife actually, but act as one.

Was it too early to have helped you put a smile on your child's face? Was it too early to have assured you that everything was okay and that you should stay strong for your child. Was it? A thought said to me

But this is a different thing altogether. This was way harder. If I'd been opportune to be as rich as him, I'd surely have helped someone in that condition. 

Contract marriage? No. Not after that bastard had played with my heart and had thrown me out as though I was worthless. Perhaps he was going to do the same thing to me. All men are the same! Another thought fired back.

"You don't have to do this Mark, do you?" I said, repeating the statement he'd made when we'd left the restaurant "must I do it?"

He let out a deep sigh "Are you nervous? Are you scared?"

Rolling down the car's glass I stared out into the facade, my heart raced feverishly and I broke into a cold sweat. I was scared.

“I barely have much time left, please. The ball is the day after tomorrow and if I am not able to make it before then..." he conveyed the rest of his sentence with a sigh, making me feel pity for him

My child was in the back seat sleeping, her face shining with perspiration.

“Just this once please, nothing more. I promise. Nothing attached, no romance, no marriage. No consequences. And it all ends after that. We will pretend never to know each other?”

It was a risky one but I was very close to agreeing when another thought struck me.

You would think I was epileptic at this point, but you would do the same if you were in my position. Being so desperate, I couldn't have said no to him then. I turned to him, his deep blue eyes stared back.

"I'll have to think about this, please. Expect an answer this evening"

He had no choice than to agree with that. He looked shocked.

"Well," he said with a hand on the steering wheel "until then. I'll be waiting " he forced out an insincere smile.

I made my way back to the house with my child. The feel of Derrick's annoyance was everywhere,  and I felt as if I couldn't breathe. Actually feeling a bit dizzy, I sat on the couch, all color draining from my face.

But I would never allow Derrick's thoughts to weigh me down. I wouldn't allow what he did to me stop me from taking the decision I was wont to take.
At least, he'd promised our relationship was not going to involve any bit of romance and he'd helped me in every way possible.

I resolved there and then that I would return his benevolence. It was later on in the evening that I'd taken the stairs on swift feet.
Soon, I was back in the living room. I was looking for my phone.

Nearly everything had been turned upside down.

"Did you see a schoolbag darling?" I asked Stormi.

She was squatting in the hallway when I asked her. She answered me with a giggle. Her giggle was like spring air, breathing life into everything around her.
I couldn't help but smile back. She only mumbled something I couldn't make out and led me to the living room. How I'd left it there I didn't know but what mattered was that I found it.

She jumped and squealed and clapped all at once. A second later, she launched herself on top of me. "Mum!"

Thanks to the reflexes honed by regular exercises, I caught her on time. I'd never taken for granted how this girl had been a blessing to my life ever since she was born.

Mark picked on the first ring. He surely must have been waiting.

"Hello?"

"Hello"

"I'll help you"

Author's note:
Thank you for reading my story ❤️
Please 🙏🥺 vote and comment. Thank you