Chapter 2

The rational thing to do would’ve been to get up

The rational thing to do would’ve been to get up. The smart thing to do was jump away from Austin and apologise, hoping he wouldn’t make my existence a bane in itself as my sister did. The ideal thing to do was move, even an inch—anything!

But no.

My mind and body had stopped working. So I remained glued to Austin’s chest, staring at him as his angry and confused eyes watched me as if expecting me to move first. And I mean, why not, right? I’m the one who “attacked” and burned him.

Gosh. I burned him.

I’ll never live this down.

“Oh, my God, Nyla, are you okay?” Ginger’s voice snapped me out of whatever daze I found myself in, and I darted away from Austin as if his skin burned me.

He groaned, rubbing his shoulder as Ginger scurried to my side.

“Are you crazy, Nyla?” he barked, stumbling to his feet with a scowl.

My body went rigid. “You … you know my name?”

“Of course, I know your name. I’m not an imbecile.”

I mean, he had a point. We had shared quite a few classes over the years. It was just one of those situations where I believed he didn’t know me because he didn’t talk to or even notice me.

“I’m sorry, Austin. I was upset and running and—”

“Burned me with your damn iron.” I winced as he said this, seeing the mark on his face growing even brighter.

The hallways were almost empty, since most people were already in class or in the gym lining up for pictures. Luckily for me, no one saw my moment of social suicide or when I basically harassed Austin with my iron.

“Just watch where you’re going next time,” he mumbled as he grabbed his bag.

Ginger watched us in confusion as if putting the pieces together until her face finally lit in realisation.

But for some reason, my stupid mouth couldn’t stay shut, even though Austin somewhat accepted my apology and was getting ready to walk away.

“Please, let me make it up to you. I can do your homework or get you a cream for that burn.” I winced again as I stepped closer to him. “Gosh, that looks nasty.”

His face fell.

“Shit, did I say that out loud?”