Chapter 10

I never thought I’d see the day I took a boy home

Maybe when I was nineteen and living in a college dorm, I would have met someone worthy and brought them home to meet Mom and Gregory on spring break or something. But at sixteen years old and a junior in high school … I never quite saw it happening.

Somehow, Austin convinced me to go to my house for us to practise the narrator script, which, to my surprise, he had already finished.

It had only been two days since the meeting, so my shock was indeed warranted. Still, it was for the best. The earlier I learn my lines word for word, the easier it will be to execute.

I still couldn’t believe I had agreed to this. Was I out of my mind or something?

Maybe. Or maybe it was just the effect that Austin had on me.

For him to be doing this to me—having me do something that I swore I’d never do—it must be special. I’m terrified that my crush was more than just a crush now.

It grew into something deeper like … I don’t know … a wrinkle?

Gosh. Someone shoot me.

“This is it,” I mumbled as Autsin turned into my driveway.

Austin hummed and stared through the car window at my house. It wasn’t the biggest house, but our dad ensured we were comfortable and well taken care of when he was away. And even after everything, we still were. Generally, on this side of town, a household with three kids usually has at least two of them sharing a room. But my siblings and I didn’t.

I don’t think I would’ve minded it much if I had a different sister. But in my case, I pretty much liked my privacy.

I led Austin inside, and we decided to stay in the living room, since it was much “safer.” Well, that’s what Mom said when I called and told her I was taking Austin home.

If I was being honest, I was pretty grateful to be out in the open like this. I wouldn’t ever try to kiss Austin, especially since he didn’t mention our almost kiss at the ice cream shop. Still, I had no idea what could and would happen.

And I wasn’t prepared.

“Would you like anything?” I asked as I pulled my hair into a messy bun. He frowned at my action as his eyes lingered on my hair before he shook his head.

“Probably just water,” Austin said.

I nodded and left for his glass without another word. When I returned, I found him near the staircase, staring at some pictures on the wall.