Chapter 9

“See you later, Mom! Love you!” I shouted and ran through the house, as Trisha’s honk blared through the room again

She was in a grumpy mood today—grumpier than usual. I kissed Gregory’s cheek and grabbed an apple before bolting through the back door.

As usual, we didn’t say anything all the way to Bruton Street. But when she pulled up to the bus stop where she usually dumped me off, she did something quite unusual.

She made the left turn towards school.

I stared at her with my mouth ajar, unable to understand what the hell she was doing. Was she taking me to school to humiliate me for how I spoke to her yesterday? Was she going to take me to Malibu and throw me off a cliff?

The anxiety nearly ate me all the way to Rosenbury High, where, to my utter surprise, she slid into a parking space and then left the car, still not saying a word to me.

Slowly, I wobbled from the car, unable to understand what the hell just happened. Did Trisha really feel bad about yesterday? Did she take heed to whatever I said?

I shook my head to clear my jumbled thoughts, which only enhanced my headache. It was too soon to know what was really the deal with Trisha. There was no need to start jumping to conclusions. Who knows? Maybe she was only getting my guard down to attack again. That was, after all, her technique.

Or maybe, she’s just trying to be better, the voice in my head said. But I couldn’t allow myself to believe that.

Not yet, at least.

I’ve believed that far too many times in the past, and it always left me with a drawn moustache or a ‘pinch me’ sign on my back.

“Am I seeing things, or did you just leave Trisha’s car?” Ginger asked as she materialised out of thin air beside me. I still had no idea how she did that.

But since I was far too accustomed to Ginger’s abrupt pop-ups and departures, I simply laced my arm through hers as she led us to the school’s entrance.

“Oh, you’re not seeing things,” I told her. “Remember when I told you about the incident yesterday?”

“Duh. I couldn’t sleep all night thinking about it!” She threw her arms in the air dramatically before reconnecting our hands. “Andrew should’ve been expelled and—”

“The point is, Trisha tried to apologise, and I was pretty harsh,” I said, cutting her off.

I had already listened to an entire hour of her rambling about how Martin and Andrew should’ve been expelled. And even though I was still shaken about the whole thing, I just wanted to put it behind me.