Chapter 18

I somehow managed to ghost Trisha for twenty-four hours

After the video got leaked in rehearsals, I was swamped with questions from those around me, texts from strangers, messages on every social media platform and even two emails!

People were commending me for being able to hide it for so long, some pitied me for being bullied by my own sister because those who noticed me would’ve realised Trisha’s tactics once or twice, and others were downright sending and posting mean things about her.

I hated it. I hated everything about it.

Trisha’s and my relationship was supposed to stay secret until graduation, when she’d leave and never look back. In recent days when we were somewhat getting along, we raised a few eyebrows when she took me to school, but not enough to reveal her secret. And though I was hurt that she denied that we were sisters to Jasmine and Rachel, I accepted that it was for the best. The attention would’ve been far too much to handle.

Attention like this.

As far as I could see, all the hate was directed at Trisha because whoever sent the message made it clear that Trisha was the one who demanded my silence.

So, why was my heart beating like it was supplying blood to ten different bodies?

I knew why. Because Trisha would blame me, and she’d definitely have my head.

“Nyla, stop fretting,” Austin said as we walked down the halls, and I almost flinched at his voice. He tried not to laugh.

“I managed to avoid her all night and morning,” I told him, searching the halls for her. “But I won’t be able to do it much longer. We live together, for crying out loud!”

“Yeah, the entire school knows now.”

I shot him a glare. “Not helping, Austin.”

“Look, I just think that it was bound to happen. You two have been travelling together a lot lately.”

“Yeah, but she had a story. No one would suspect it,” I said as I slouched against some random kid’s locker. “Austin, I am screwed.”

“You’re not screwed.” He scooped me in his arms and kissed my forehead. “Because you did nothing wrong.”

And then it hit me. “You’re right. I didn’t do anything wrong, so I shouldn’t be afraid.”

“That’s my girl.”

“Right. This is something new Nyla needs to face. Standing up to Trisha.”