k.th x l.cy - the worst thing i ever did

(just imagine that the age gap between chaeryeong and taehyun is a month. also, korean age used.)

chaeryeong's pov 

here I am sitting in a treehouse

here I am sitting in a treehouse. my parents and taehyun's parents built it for us. It was filled with books, our books.

it would be funny to say that taehyun and i were normal. well, nobody is normal. 

but we were different, especially when we were together. 

inseparable, even when we had to go to sleep. 

we could see each other from our bedroom windows, write and show signs at night to each other, because we needed each other's presence. 

with him, everything felt natural. 

and that's why i'm here. 

waiting for the person i loved my whole life. 

the person who i grew up with.

the person who was the first person to hug me at our graduation and the person who was there for me when my sister had her surgeries. 

the friendship that both of us left for the rat race called the world, i don't want it to change.

a typical day was spending time with taehyun in school, coming home, changing, having snacks and studying with taehyun, in the treehouse with taehyun and sometimes we'd sneak out and pull all-nighters in this same place. 

i looked around at the book of shelves. our photos pasted on some walls.

the worst thing i ever did, was let him leave me. 

about five minutes later of looking at the books and the photos, i heard someday climb up the ladder of the treehouse. 

"open the trap door," the familiar voice said, and i knew it was taehyun. he knocked on it urgently, because the ladder would give in from a lot of weight, but we never changed it when we were younger too.

i crouched down and opened it and his head popped up. "long time no see, chae," he smiled. "you wanna stay like this, or climb up?" i asked, standing up again.

"i think, maybe we should go down. the treehouse might go down, we're much bigger in size now," he sounded worried, as the ladder creaked. he didn't climd up, till i bent down and held his hand which was on the floor. "it'll be fine," i said and he climbed up holding my hand. 

the place was small with him there, and both of us were standing quite close to each other. "the photos," i mumbled, pointing at the photos, trying to distract both of us from how we were standing. he let go of my hand, i felt kind of disappointed because of that. 

"this place brings back so many memories," he said. i looked at the books which had dust on them. 

i opened the book kept on top of the bookshelf and a few photos fell out. 

taehyun picked them up and looked at them. "when are these from?" he asked. i looked over his shoulder and i remembered everything.

"valentines', 2018. you gave me chocolates, and......" i said. "and?" he asked, not remembering the and. "it was our first kiss," I said, and the photos stayed in his hand, and he looked at me, but i couldn't look at him. 

"we got drunk at a party. yeonjun oppa held it, we were just 18. he told me later, and then i remembered, but i wasn't able to tell you," i said. 

and then, you left. 

"why didn't you tell me?" he asked, turning towards me, he was facing me now. "you were too busy in leaving, i-i thought that you didn't care," i said, tearing up. 

"chae, you know I cared about you, right? i still do," he said. "i know, but i didn't want y-you to leave," i replied, wiping my tears. 

"and, now you're back, i'm not sure about how I should feel," i said. i know that i still love him, nothing could have changed that. 

but i'm not sure how he feels, and how i'm supposed to feel about this. 

"you know, the worst thing i ever did, was leave you. and i regret it, you were and are my everything. i was miserable there, like i hated it," he said. why is he saying this? he has to leave in week. 

i know, his mother told me. he's going back, and not coming back. "i know you're gonna leave again," i said. "chae, i cancelled my flight," he said, and held my hands. 

"why?" 

"because, i love you."  no, he doesn't. 

"i really do,Chae." does he? 

"you don't believe me?" he asked. 

He does, doesn't he? 

"i do," I replied, a smile creeping up on my face. "do you...", he trailed off. i nodded, and he smiled. 

"can I kiss you?" he asked. 

and all i could do was nod. he kissed me, i kissed back, and kept my hands on his shoulders. then, we heard something snap. 

he broke the kiss, "i think we should get off, before the treehouse gives in," he said, and i chuckled and nodded.