Chapter 3- The Mall Rats

The band of misfits sit around the table in the back of scoops ahoy as they try to decipher the foreign language playing on Dustin's recorder. The young boy was already tired of continuously having to play the audio he had managed to capture for the incapable teenagers.

"Robin, I thought your ears were little geniuses?" Dustin grows annoyed as he plays the recording again.

"It's not my fault you didn't realise the Russians use an enterally different alphabet than we do." Robin groans as she deflates onto the table exhausted only to be interrupted when Steve suddenly stands up.

"Wait... You know who is super smart and could like totally help us? Willow!" Steve exclaims, tossing away his banana peel.

"Come on Steve your stupid crush isn't worth blowing our whole operation. Plus no way is she that smart." Dustin fires back.

"No I'm serious, she had this weird thing for different alphabets, she might be able to help. Robin, you have to ask her! She'd think I'm a stalker if I asked her to come into the back... She'd trust you though, wouldn't she Robin? You women all trust each other." Steve lets out

"What?! You're not even making any sense. How would it be okay for me to be weird and a stalker? We don't even know where she is!" Robin asks holding her hand to her chest offended.

"It's not like you're the one with the crush on her don't be ridiculous, she won't care if it's a girl. Plus, I'm sure she'll show up sooner or later, especially after finding out I work here." Steve relaxes back into his seat with a smug look while Robin rolls her eyes at his cocky display.

"You don't stand a chance, she's way out of your league..." Robin grumbles under her breath looking down at her converse. Although the boy hadn't been wrong, Willow had indeed ended up showing up at the parlour. Yet what he didn't know is that she couldn't get the pale blue eyes of a certain female employee out of her mind.

Robin jumps at the sound of the bell, hopping up from her seat filled with hope, and her eyes do not disappoint when she spots the green eyes of the Californian girl smiling back at her. Giving Steve an urgent glance she comes out of the backroom to offer the gorgeous girl her services.

"Hey, Buckley." Willow manages to get out before Robin's verbal spew reaches her.

"Willow! Perfect timing. We're actually in desperate need of your help right now-" Robin starts before she's cut off.

"Hmmm...What's in it for me Robin?" She grins placing her hands on the counter once more leaning towards the flustered girl.

"Free ice cream for life?" Robin offers desperately. "Wow Ok, sounds pretty important but I'll only agree if it is you making them. I'm pretty sure Steve drools into my ice cream." The both of them giggle.

Willow is now seated licking a mango ice cream that Robin had made her as they finish listening to the tape, the group looking at her expectantly.

"So what do you think?" Dustin asks excitedly, smiling without his teeth at the pretty girl.

"I can make out the alphabet but I'm not sure what it means, I used to only use Russian to send secret messages to Billy in class while we lived in California but we couldn't speak it," Willow says between licks of ice cream. "But I'm sure I could translate it with a dictionary..."

"That's good enough, let's get to work then comrades." Robin imitates in a poor Russian accent, immediately regretting it but not being able to stop her mouth from talking.

Willow giggles, turning to write the alphabet on the whiteboard along with their phonetic anglicised counterparts for the others to understand.

"Play it again," Willow demands, placing herself in front of a notebook to hastily scribble down what she hears.

Steve eventually leaves to serve customers, meaning she is left with Robin and Dustin who she only knows as one of Max's friends. It takes a while to show any results, but by combining their brains they can figure it out.

"The week is long, the silver cat feeds, When blue meets yellow in the west."

By now it has taken them all day, and they are closing down the parlour ready to go home, while Willow gets ready for the late film screenings.

"It just can't be right, It's nonsense," Steve complains.

"You don't trust our translation?" Willow asks faking hurt, looking towards Robin.

"It's not nonsense it's too specific, it's obviously a code. Like a super secret spy code." Dustin defends.

"Maybe... I mean let's entertain the possibility that it is a secret Russian transmission. What'd you think they were gonna say, "Fire the warhead at noon"? Our translation is correct, I know that for sure, why would anyone talk like that unless they are trying to mask the true meaning of their message."

"So I guess that confirms Dustin's suspicion that they are actually evil Russians" Willow agrees, looking back towards Steve who has stopped walking alongside them.

Willow stops curiously watching as he searches his pockets, Robin and Dustin continue walking until the female scoops ahoy employee realises they have lost the other two, looking back and rolling her eyes when she sees the both of them together.

"You ok Steve?" Willow asks tentatively.

"I need a quarter Do you have one?"

"Yeah sure..." She fishes one out of her uniform's back pocket and hands it to him so that he can put it into the machine.

"Hey what are you doing?" Robin shouts back to the others as the horse starts playing the tune to 'Daisy Bell'.

"You need help getting up Stevie?" Robin teases.

"No- shhh. Holy shit he's right! It's the same song as the recording." Willow exclaims, looking down at Steve impressed.

"Maybe they have horses like this in Russia," Robin asks looking annoyed at Steve for being able to impress Willow, trying to discredit his discovery.

"'Indiana Flyer'? I don't think so... This code, it... didn't come from Russia. It came from here." Steve explains looking at both of the girls as the song takes on a more menacing tone as they realise how serious this situation could potentially be.