Chapter 7- El Pluribus Unum

The machine seems to thrum with life, shooting a beam of pure electricity, lighting up the scared faces of the others as they watch in horror.

"The gate," Dustin and Steve both say together in unison, turning to run down the way they came from, leaving the rest of the group deeply confused.

"I don't understand. You've seen this before?" Robin asks. "Not exactly, All you need to know is it's bad." Dustin poorly explains. "Like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad."

"And you know about this how?" Robin becomes suspicious glancing between the two as Willow glances towards the floor in search of the Russian man or perhaps the lack of him.

"Eh guys, He's not there anymore" Willow panics pointing towards the spot of blood on the floor as a shrill alarm begins to blare throughout the facility. All of them rush towards the door, making a run for it once they've seen that they've been spotted.

Willow harshly tugs Erica along as they run past the beam of light and down a flight of stairs. Shutting the door as they make it into an empty room.

Steve pushes his body against the force of the others trying to break in as Willow shares a glance with him immediately understanding what they must do.

Pushing Erica forward she joins Steve in holding back the other to give their group a chance of an escape. Willow scrunches her eyebrows as she lets out a frustrated scream against the unwanted visitors' force. "Run! Just get out of here" Willow shouts to the rest of them unable to hold on for much longer, the door jolts open as they push it back, Robin watching the older teens unsurely until Willow glances back up at her. "Robin go! Keep them safe!"

Robin understanding what the brave teenagers are sacrificing spurs the others into action, getting them to jump into the vents.

"I won't forget you!" Dustin shouts towards them as Robin pushes him in, stealing a glance back at Willow before jumping down after the other children, promising herself she would find a way to save them.

Once the others have safely left the door bursts open, revealing angry Russian men pointing their guns towards Willow and Steve as they slowly raise their hands in surrender.

Several hours later Willow found herself handcuffed in a chair as a guard proceeded to punch her across the face, it had mostly been a blur of violence, one that she had become used to from her father's relentless fists.

"I will only ask again once, who do you work for." The stern man says in his pompous uniform. The room had already started to spin, the lights blending to give the effect of an open sky causing her to laugh at the cruelty.

"I've already told you for the millionth time, I down work for anyone!" She groans shutting her eyes as she tries to ignore the dull throbbing in her head."Where is Steve? My friend?" She grunts becoming frustrated but doesn't receive an answer only a further punch to the stomach causing her to keel over gagging as all air escapes her.

The guard continues to question her followed by more punches which eventually causes her to slowly pass out as she stares at her blood as it starts to soak the concrete floor, the steady flow of tears running across her numb face.

She wakes up to the men dragging her into a separate room, tossing her onto the floor where she hits her already fragile head. Turning to the side she is met with the blurry sight of an unconscious Steve.

"Steve... ugh Steve..." She groans trying to scoot closer to him.

Trying to make out his injuries she squints down at the familiar figure, reaching out her cuffed hands to shake him awake, only to be met with silence. Tears escape her eyes as she looks over to the guard letting out a frustrated scream that he will at least understand, blood and tears smeared across her face.