7

Once I had decided on something, actually decided on something, it was impossible to have my mind changed.

I was stubborn and ambitious in my commitments, just like my father. Despite our currently uncertain relations, our alikeness had never been clearer.

My current and decided on plan was to start from the top of the organisers in the inhumane business, as to avoid frightening the top-dogs into lockdown.

In spite of her foolish way of falling for men who would only end up hurting her, Anastasia's ability to hack into Jack Gold's security was beyond me, and amazed me each time. As to spend time with Vinnie, she was stationed in a van down the street, by which Vinnie was observing any extra men coming toward the property I was at right now.

Crouching behind the large bushes at the far end of the extensive gardens, I peeked through at Gold enjoying the weather and brunch with his wife. I was aware of their three young children, but it seemed they and the guards had left the couple alone and remained inside the grand villa.

I had felt regretful of my plan being to rid innocent children of a father, but kept reminding myself of the families Gold had broken and burned, the children he had stolen and treated worse than the most heartless man would animals.

Besides, regret was unprofessional.

I readied my sniper rifle, so far everything having gone better than hastily planned. There were no guards, and by the time they would reach the lifeless body of their boss, I would be long gone.

"Everything clear?" I spoke quietly into my earpiece, "over."

"All good," Vinnie replied through it, "over and out."

I shifted carefully on the rough and cold forest floor, ignoring the pine needles that were poking into the sides of my ribcage. I steadied my excited heartbeat and accelerated breaths, preparing now to fire the first of many shots during the entirety of this mission.

Once Jack Gold was dead, the most notorious organiser of human trafficking would be out of the picture, affecting the business greatly. I would also prove that I was completely capable of finishing such tasks, and earn the well-deserved respect and admiration from my father.

I then pressed myself against the rifle, pulling myself forward against the cold ground enough to be able to peer through the optical mount with one eye.

I steadied my aim on Gold's head while he laughed at something his wife was telling him enthusiastically.

With my finger on the trigger, I held my breath.

Just as I was about to fire, Gold turned to look back toward their home, before standing up from his seat.

I observed the situation carefully, holding off on the shot. I moved my gaze through the mount toward the glass doors of the estate which had opened.

I cursed underneath my breath as Mogilevich with a young woman on his arm walked outside, greeted familiarly by Gold.

This definitely hadn't been apart of my plan, especially as the disgusting old man was followed by a litany of heavily armed guards. Being one of the most powerful men in the world alongside my father, such protection was of course required.

I calmed myself, positive I could still pull this off if I fired a distraction shot first.

I steadied myself once more and watched through the bushes and the optical mount on my rifle as Gold guided Mogilevich and the woman to sit with himself and his wife, all chatting joyously.

It would be too big of a risk shooting both men right now, but not doing so would make Mogilevich only harder to get later. As he wasn't an organiser, I needed to get rid of Gold first and figure out the rest later.