14

"Clear the back," I directed the two men in front of me quietly. With a simple move of my head I motioned for them to head down the hallway.

They did as ordered, and I watched them stealthily check the adjoining hallways before making their way down it, guns in hand and bodies pressed against the wall.

"I'm exhausted," Vinnie muttered, crouched down behind me, "let's let them take care of this and we'll stay here."

"Long night?" I glanced back to send him a suggestive grin, yet quickly returned my vigilance onto any incoming threats.

We had been informed of a security breach in the basement one of our office buildings, and were now investigating it. It was most likely just Julio's men, sending us a warning after the several raids we had completed on their shipments.

My injured rib still pained me, and as clear as avoiding movement had been made to me, I would never sit out on a mission such as this.

"Not exactly," he chuckled uncomfortably, thinking back to his date with Anastasia yesterday evening, "I was alone and in my bed before midnight. I did drink a bit much, though..."

"Maybe not the best thing to do on a first date," I murmured with distaste, before peeking past the corner and down another dim and empty hallway at a faint sound.

"She's just not my... type," he reasoned casually, and I felt like laughing.

"Sexy and smart isn't your type? Alright, then."

"You know I have a thing for blondes," he chuckled quietly, shifting on his feet.

Anastasia's concern of him still holding feelings for me flashed through my mind, but was wiped out at the sound of a clamour.

I raised to my feet in a flash, squeezing the gun close to me. I motioned for Vinnie to follow me, and silently he did.

"Everyone ends up either bald or greyed," I gritted out barely above a whisper, sneaking down the empty hallway alongside the wall, each move as quiet as possible. Either Oliver and Jack had caused the sound, or they had run into the culprits. "Don't make your choices based on hair colour."

Vinnie held his reply, but the unsaid words travelled between us with ease and clarity. His thoughts were clear to me, yet found it best for them never again to be spoken aloud.

A shot rang, the empty and concrete walls carrying its loud ring to us.

Without hesitation my slow steps accelerated into a sprint, dashing toward the room our men had entered mere seconds ago. I heard the man behind me copy my pace.

My focus pointed only to what may have happened, and how I would deal with it. I should have planned for this better, but now was not the time for 'what ifs'.

Once I reached the doorway my feet slowed, quietening myself to observe the situation before rushing in guns blazing, as Mikhail had so wonderfully described my style of getting things done.

I discreetly peeked into the brightly lit boiler room, the machinery humming and muffling out the words spoken to Jack and Oliver. The two men were stood against the wall, with unfamiliar men a few feet in front of them, their backs turned to us.

Their guns were aimed and ready, but lowered the moment Jack made the mistake of glancing past them and at me. I muttered underneath my breath as I was forced to rush in then, Vinnie not far behind.

Both men spun around to face us. I neared them fast, unfazed by their guns then aiming at us threateningly.

I had been expecting the shot that Vinnie then fired, and one of the men fell down to the floor. This faltered the other man's attention, giving me the fraction of a second I needed to rid him of his gun and press mine against his neck.