Opening up, but not to you

Basil's pov:

I silently hummed to myself as I wrote into my diary.

I haven't been out in a while, I've been avoiding Sunny.

I wish things could just be normal between us like they used to, but things have changed, because of me.

I can't even be around him without having to leave in fear of exposing myself.

I heard my door open, I looked up and it was Polly.

"Basil! Sunny's here to see you."

Again...? He must be trying to get me to crack.

"I'll be down in a minute"

I forced a smile.

She closed the door, and I slipped my diary back into the bottom drawer of my nightstand.

I got off my bed and headed downstairs to see Sunny sitting on the couch.

"Hey Basil!"

I sighed and sat next to him.

"Hi Sunny."

"So, how have you been?"

"Sunny, nothing changed, you were just here yesterday."

"I know that."

I laughed.

"Then why'd you ask?"

"That's not the point, I came here to ask you if you maybe wanted to go hang out with me and Mari at the park?"

"Just me you and Mari?"

"Yeah! She wanted to talk to you about something, not sure what."

"..."

Mari's catching on to me, I knew she would, she knows when something is up.

"Yeah...I'll come!"

"Great! Let's go."

Sunny and I left my house and walked to the park.

When we got there I could see Mari sitting on a bench.

I walked over to her and Sunny followed, until he was stopped.

"Sorry Sunny, but I'd like to talk to Basil privately, okay?"

"Uh, sure?"

Sunny went over to another bench farther away and sat down.

I turned to Mari and she gestured for me to sit down next to her, so I did.

"So uh, what did you wanna talk about?"

"Are you okay Basil? Sunny was telling me about how you were acting, and I saw it too."

I froze for a second, staring at the ground.

"You know you can tell me anything and I won't tell anyone else, If something is bothering you, I wanna be able to help!"

I sighed.

"W-well, there is something...It's about Sunny."

I looked up at Mari, who had a smirk on her face.

"You like Sunny, don't you Basil?"

I could feel my face heat up, and I quickly covered it with my hands.

"I-is it that obvious?"

Mari laughed.

"To me, yes, to everyone else, not so much."

Mari put her hand on my shoulder, I looked up to see her smiling.

"Of course, I won't pressure you, but you should tell him, whenever you're ready!"

"You don't think it's weird, I mean...we've been friends for so long, plus he's a boy..."

"Sometimes when you've been around someone for so long, it takes years just for you to realize how you actually feel about them, that's not weird, It's just a part of growing up! You think differently than how you might of when you were younger, having new emotions and thoughts you probably don't understand, and who knows, maybe you've always had those feelings for him, but didn't realize what they meant."

"I guess you're right..."

"And you both being boys doesn't matter at all! I believe that love is love no matter the gender, and you shouldn't be ashamed of that!"

I smiled.

"Thanks Mari, I guess I really needed to hear that."

"Anytime Basil, but I wanna know, what's really bothering you about being around Sunny?"

"Well, It's a mix of things, for one, I don't want him to find out or try and pry it out of me, and two, I don't want him to catch on to me by the way I act around him."

"So, you're scared of him finding out somehow?"

"Yeah..."

"I wouldn't worry about it too much, I doubt he'd figure out."

"...."

"You two should try spending some more time together, so you feel comfortable around him again!"

"Okay....I'll try, see you later Mari."

"Bye Basil!"

I got up from the bench and went over to where Sunny was sitting.

"So, what was that about?"

"Nothing, wanna take a walk?"

"Sure!"

< * >