CHAPTER TWO ● FOR THE NIGHT ●

i. WOLF MOON

PART TWO

THE TENSION AMONGST THE PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND CLOSE OBSERVERS ROSE TO AN ALL TIME HIGH. Allison, Blaire and Lydia returned to the field to watch the boys make official cuts for the season. Every action was closely watched, every throw was heavily monitored, and every mistake will follow up by heavy scrutiny. In wise words of the coach, "Don't fuck up, or your ass is on the bench for the season and no one will ever love you."

Decent players like Jackson had nothing to worry since he always stayed at the top, but his position was threatened by Scott's remarkable and suspicious skills. He couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that the loser who always ran from the ball was seemingly catching every throw and even going as far as to do tricks as well.

He almost believed Scott got better over summer break, however not once on the field did he need his inhaler. Jackson had three goals; figure out what was going on with Scott, keep his status as the captain, and to make sure Scott stays on the bench.

As the players huddled up, Allison broke away from the conversation with the girls to wave at Scott wishing him luck on the field. He happily returned the gesture with a toothy grin irking Jackson in the process.

"You're telling me you hit a dog. Do you not know how to drive?" A bewildered Blaire asked Allison. The question immediately jerked her attention away from Scott and scanned the crowd for nosey looks. Seeing everyone's attention on the field, Allison let out a sigh of relief and continued their conversation. She just got here and she didn't want to be known as the dog killer.

"It sorta came out of nowhere, and it was storming really bad, so I couldn't see. I had this horrible breakdown afterwards, I could barely get my sentences out and I was too scared to call my parents." Allison 's words came to a halt realizing she probably said too much. Blaire gave her a warm comforting smile. Moving her was a lot for Allison, especially when it was out of nowhere. All the stress and anxiety probably got to her.

"Oh my god...is the dog okay?" Lydia chirped in trying to find some common ground with the new girl hoping something would stick.

"Yeah I took him to the vet and Scott, the boy from class was able to help him." She trailed off trying to hide her smile. The cold wind didn't stop a smile from spreading across Blaire's face. She was giddy and ready to gossip about her vet visit. She crossed her legs and pushed her hair behind her ear.

"Now you have to tell me more," the girl's mouth gaped open.

Allison was surprised at her interest to hear about her love life. Then again she wasn't used to having genuine friends that stuck around. "Well, he asked me out to the party Friday." The girls held each other's hands cheering and squealing. Pushing the jealousy of the way, even Lydia had to admit she was impressed. From what she saw, Scott was a good player and a major hottie. Making a mental note along with a plan of deceit, she prepared for Jackson to remind everyone who the actual team captain is.