5 - 𝑭𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒕

I lie for a reason

I lie for a reason.
And a child's comfort is a part of that reason.

❥︎'HE FUCKING JINXED IT' you grimaced heavily inside your head as you stared at your mother's slumberous figure inside her white casket. Numerous guests from friends to family visited the funeral hall where your mother's mourning would begin.

All dressed in black for the sorrowful event of death, you included as you sat down beside your older brother. His tear-stained face was still evident despite the dim lighting over his features with his head low and hasn't said a single word starting from yesterday. You took a side glance over his figure beside your seat. Your brows knitted in worry as you contemplated what to do to cheer him up.

Your mother died in an accident. A robbery to be exact. Four days ago, during the closing time in your parent's ramen shop, a masked man suddenly entered without permission as he held a gun in his hand. Pointing toward your parents, their employees, and some remaining customers who were just about to leave.

The robber threatened both of your parents that if they don't give them the money inside the cash register, then he'll kill not one, but all of them inside the shop. Everyone was in a panic right after the robber said that. But your father couldn't allow it as he tried fighting him off, but at some point in the fight... it ended up with your mother getting shot.
Before the police could make it together with the ambulance...it was already too late.

You turned your head over your shoulder, looking at your father who was by the entrance, welcoming guests and accepting their condolences with blank eyes, and empty words. As if he was a robot with no emotions at all. It was clear that your father was blaming himself for all this to happen. To your mother's death.

When you heard the news of her sudden death, at that moment, you didn't feel like crying. Sure you felt a huge pang hitting your chest and your lungs not working properly as they should be. But you didn't cry. You were hurt, but you didn't cry. You were sad, but you didn't cry. You didn't cry about your mother's death at all. Your father knew about this, Shuji knew about this, but they didn't say anything about it.