Chapter 1

It was an ordinary day for Katelyn. She went to college, work, and then came home exhausted. But when she went to sleep, she wasn't expecting what she would wake up to. When she awoke, she was in a different bed in a different place. The problem was that she did not know where. She got up quickly, realizing she was still in her nightclothes. She looked around trying to figure out where she could be but didn't know. She looked out the window, and didn't recognize her surroundings, but the place felt like it came from a world of fantasy. She started towards the door when she realized she should try to find a change of clothes. She went to the closet nearest to her and found a wardrobe with many clothes, most of them being made of cotton and leather. She chose a leather bustier and a pair of what looked and felt like leggings. She also found a pair of shoes that were a little big on her feet but would work for the time being.

She walked out the door and didn't see any familiar landmarks. It almost looked like she was in a train station of sorts. The air was filled with a purple mist that worried Katelyn. It seemed like many people were ill and sluggish around her. But, she decided to press forward and went up to the first person she met. She asked the man if he could tell her where she was. The man looked at her like she was crazy before replying that she was in Greede Central Station. She didn't recognize the name, but decided to let the person go before walking towards the closest person who looked like they worked at the station she was in, and asked if they could tell her about where she was. The lady said with a large smile, "You are currently in the Free City of Greede, where the city rests on the back of a beast called the Demithor." The lady gave her a train pass and told her it would be the easiest way for her to travel the city. Still being very confused, Katelyn asked, "How far from the United States are we?" The lady just replied, "I'm sorry, but I've never heard of it, but maybe someone else may know." Katelyn, not taking that as answer, asked the lady, "Is there anyone in the city who may know how to get there?" The lady replied, "Yes, our current mayor should be somewhere around here. The Drisdall Manor is just outside the station and his name is Caesar Drisdall. He has travelled all over the continent and may be able to help give you directions." "Is there any way you could help me find him. I've never seen him," replied Katelyn. The lady said, "I'll page him over our intercom system. Hold on just one moment." The lady started paging, and Katelyn turned looking for who this Caesar person could be.

A few minutes later, a tan skinned young man walked up and started towards Katelyn's location. "Hey, I heard the page. What's going on," the young man asked the lady. She assumed he must be Caesar, but he looked very young and dressed differently than any mayor that Katelyn had ever seen. He wore a red half top that left his apparent six pack exposed. He wore the odd shirt with a low-hanging pair of pants. Katelyn turned to talk to the young man, but when he saw her, he froze for a moment, then said one word in an astonished tone. "Kara..." Katelyn didn't know what to think so she said, "I'm sorry, but I don't know who that is." Caesar looked and said, "I'm sorry, it's just that you look almost exactly like someone I lost recently." Katelyn could tell that this girl Kara must have been a very special person to Caesar, so she said sympathetically, "I'm very sorry, she must have been someone very special. My name is Katelyn. I somehow woke up here but I'm from the United States. I don't know how I got here and was trying to get directions to home." Caesar looked at Katelyn quizzically and said, "I'm sorry, but I've never heard of that place. Do you think someone kidnapped you? I can afile a report and get you a place to stay." "That would be much appreciated. I am not very sure of how I got here. Any help would be appreciated," Katelyn replied to him. Caesar said, "Let's get moving then. Hopefully, we can find you a way home." He put his arm around Katelyn in a gesture of comfort and started to guide her to the large manor that was outside the station.

As Caesar started to guide her, Katelyn started to feel a sense of déjà vu. She couldn't place it, but she felt like she knew the young man when they just met. Katelyn decided to shrug off the feeling for now, but she would dwell on it more later. Caesar led her into the large manor across from the station. Once inside the huge mansion, he led her to an office space and told her he would be back in a few minutes because he had to consult with his assistant. He left her for a few minutes, so she decided to look around the large space as she waited. One thing she noticed was a gorgeous statue with gems in the eyes that looked like fire. She had never heard of the statue, but it looked like it could cost a fortune. She kept looking around at the books in the office until she happened to pass by a mirror. When she saw her reflection, she did a double take, not believing what she saw in front of her eyes. The girl looking back at her in the mirror was not the same girl that had looked back at her all her life.