Chapter 8

After reaching the basement level, the group began to hear shouting in the tunnel up ahead. They all started running forward at a jog to see what all the commotion was about. When they got to the shouting, they saw what looked to be a man hovering over a wounded soldier saying, "You've been badly hurt. Stay here and rest." The soldier groaned in pain before laying back against the wall. "Count, are you alright," Eldore asked. The young Count asked, "Hmm? Who are you?" Eldore replied, "Just a band of humble travelers seeking to bring an end to the fever afflicting Greede. Your man watching the gate told us we could find you here." "And so, you did. Your concern for Greede is appreciated. Might I trouble you to share with me what you know." After a long explanation about the Netherwyrm and how it was the cause of the pyrexia affecting the citizens, Drisdall said, "Fascinating. So, a deathless black dragon is the cause of our misfortune. I might have known. There have been sightings of such a beast." Caesar stepped up and asked, "Okay. So, what are you going to do about it?" His father replied, "Continue on to the palace. I must face the Dragon's trial." "Alone," Caesar asked, remembering how it took the five of them in the past to take down the dragon. "Of course. Anything to find out how to stop that black dragon." "Let us help you," Caesar said. "That's a kind offer, uhh... Forgive me, I don't think I caught your name." "It's Caesar." "Caesar, that's a strong name. Good to meet you, Caesar," he said while holding out his hand. Caesar looked taken aback for a momwnt, but took his father's hand and shook it with a firm grip. "Well, let's be off," the Count said to the group.

After walking for a little bit, the group reached a large clearing that looked to be old ruins. Caesar whispered to Katelyn, "Be prepared to bring on your transformation. It is going to take all of us to defeat the Armored Dragon. We all nearly died the last time." Katelyn nodded to him and said, "I'm ready." Lord Drisdall shouted out, "Here me! I am Drisdall, Lord of Greede. Mother of Dragons, I summon you to fulfil your pact and grant me your power!" The ruins started to shake and crumble as a large red dragon covered in armor appeared. She flew to ground in front of them and let out a vicious roar. The dragon spoke and said, "Drisdall! If it is power and wisdom you seek, then power and wisdom you must first show!" Katelyn immediately called on her transformation and said, "O Dinivas, Deliverer of Darkness and Dread, Ruler of the Ancient Shadows, Grant Me Your Power! Verto!" Caesar said beside her, "O Larvayne, Vermillion Drake, Leveler of Ancient Lands, Grant Me Your Power! Verto!" Leonard said from the other side of the group, "O Wizel, White Warrior, Wielder of the Ancient Sword, Grant Me Your Power! Verto!" All three began to transform into their respective knights and began to glow as the suits resonated with one another. Eldore, Yulie, and the Count began their attacks, trying to weaken the attack and defenses of the dragon.

After many minutes of fighting, the Dragon Matriarch backed down from her fight and said, "Lord Drisdall, ruler of Greede. You have proven your strength is true. Drisdall, you say it is your wish to rid Greede of the Netherwyrm's corruptions." "That's right," the Count said. "I must caution you: black it may be, and draconic in appearance — but the Netherwyrm is no kin of mine." Caesar asked, "It's not a dragon." "Correct. It is not a dragon. Thus, it will neither heed my pleas, nor will it answer to those of dragonkind. The Netherwrym is a living, undying weapon, crafted in ancient times by the Yshrenian Empire to fight in the Dogma Wars. Its indestructible flesh was made from my brethren's armour, allowing it to weather countless battles, and yet never know true defeat." "So, how are we supposed to fight it off," Katelyn asked the Dragon Matriarch. "There is one way but know this. The power is far too great for a mere man to wield without cost. Drisdall. What price are you willing to pay?" "Any price. My city's well-being falls squarely on my shoulders. I stand before you unafraid." "Very well. Then to you, I present this. The divine lance Wyrmbuke. Use this weapon to run the Netherwyrm through." Drisdall reached for the lance and then the group around him began to glow. Caesar muttered a quick, "What the..." The group then teleported back to the Drisdall manner in present day Greede.

Eldore looked at the book and says, "The Retrospecticon ends there." "Aw, come on. Things were just getting good," Caesar said. Leonard asks, "So that lance - did Count Drisdall use it to defeat the black dragon?" "Presumably," Eldore said. "Well, let's figure it out in the morning," Caesar said, "You can crash at the mansion tonight." With that, Caesar began to walk towards the kitchen. Katelyn followed after him, sitting at one of the barstools at the counter inside the kitchen. Caesar had a sad look on his face as he got a drink out of the refrigerator and sat down beside her. "It must have been hard seeing him again," Katelyn said to Caesar. Caesar nods as he takes a drink and says, "I was a bit of an ass to him as I got older. I wish I could take it back sometimes, make him proud of me, you know." Katelyn held back her own tears and said, "I would give anything to have my parent's back. So, I know how you feel." Katelyn got up and said, "I'm sorry. I need a moment." She walked outside onto the balcony as the tears started to fall from her eyes. Leonard was standing out on the balcony and saw her as she came outside but didn't say anything for a few minutes. He knew that this new life was a hard adjustment for her and that it would take a while for her to get used to.

Caesar came out a few minutes later and stood on the other side of the balcony overlooking the gardens. He wanted to give Katelyn a few minutes of peace, but still felt the need to be close to her. Leonard asked Caesar, "Not sleepy, huh? What's going on?" "It was just weird seeing my dad so... healthy, y'know? He was badass. Who knew? And I hit a sore spot when I was talking to Katelyn about it. She really misses her family." Leonard nodded and asked, "So what do you think happened to the lance. Maybe the Count kept the lance - left it somewhere." "That's part of what's keeping me awake. There was some serious power coursing through that lance. A weapon like that doesn't just go away." For a few minutes, Caesar thought and then remembered something from the past. When he was young, he was following his dad who was doing something important. He remembered being upset because he couldn't find his dad. But then he spotted him at the end of a tunnel in Greede's Underbelly. "Caesar, are you okay," Leonard asked, shaking him. "Yeah. I remember now. The lance is down in Greede's Underbelly." "Okay. We will leave in the morning. Have a good night, okay." Leonard then pointed at Katelyn and said, "Oh, and I think she is ready to talk." Leonard left the balcony as Katelyn approached Caesar. "Sorry about earlier. It's been an adjustment. I used to talk to my mom every day and it's hard not hearing her voice and going to her for guidance." "I understand. I've been trying to rule a city with thousands of people and have no clue what I am doing." "Well, Caesar, or I guess, my lord," Katelyn started, "Maybe we should start with some rest and then think on that in the morning. Maybe I could help you in the future if you would like." "That would be awesome. Let's get to bed," he said. He scooped her up in his arms bridal style and started towards his room. "Do you want to get changed first," Caesar asked her as they made their way to the bedroom. "No, I have other plans for you tonight," Katelyn said cheekily. Caesar looked a little wide eyed, then rushed to the bedroom, quickly opening, shutting, and locking the door.

Katelyn quickly found her back against the door, as Caesar kissed the life out of her. "You don't know what you do to me," Caesar said to her. "I feel like I do," Katelyn said, "Because you do the same thing to me." Caesar quickly pulled the strings to her armor and pulled off the bustier armor. He then pulled off her sword sheath and slowly undid the buttons to her skirt and pants combo. Soon, she was left to her underwear, while Caesar was still dressed, though half his chest was exposed. Katelyn undid the buttons on the front of his shirt and started to undo the buttons to his pants when he broke them apart and asked, "Are you sure about this?" Katelyn answered by kissing him again, a little slower than before, as Caesar moved them to the bed. The night was long as the pent-up tension between the two of them was released into passion. Caesar and Katelyn both fell asleep in each other's arms somewhere between four and five in the morning, feeling happier than they both had in a while. Katelyn felt that she finally knew the meaning of home as she lay in Caesar's arms, whilst Caesar finally realized that Katelyn was the person he was meant to be with. He knew that after this was all over, he would make her his Lady, his Countess. He just wanted to get this final battle over with so that he could do that and so much more.