california dream

"This is pitiful," I said from the backseat

"This is pitiful," I said from the backseat. Steve leaned over the side of the driver's seat and gave me an annoyed look.

"Would you just...get out of the car already?" he said, I had been pestering him about his application college letter that he was writing. I laughed, and he grinned knowing I knew he was only joking. "I mean it squirt, you're going to be late for class"

I am going to wring your neck if you don't give me and nancy some privacy

"Like you show up early" Nancy replied from the seat beside him. "I'll see you in math Vi"

"Yup, see you two weirdos later!" I said and when I was almost out of the car I shot back, "Just because I can hear your thoughts, doesn't mean you can just harass me in your mind" and slammed the door.

I had told my brother about my newfound ability, along with the residents at the Hawkins lab, about a few days after Cheif Hopper had saved my life. They knew this was a weird freak event that happened and could only be led to believe that the upside-down beast implanted some part of their being into me, hence the powers. Steve was a little freaked out, but once he knew they didn't harm me, and I felt no different with them, was fine. It took some getting used to being able to hear all his thoughts and the ones lingering from the other residents of Hawkins but I got it under control. If I hear a thought I can tune it out, except for the ones directed towards me or about me. My brother used this as a way to silently torment me or basic make sure I'm okay daily. I also discovered I could send thought answers back to people, Steve demanded I not do that to him again.

Will Byers was my new savior. He and I spent a lot of time together before school started up again. His mom Joyce liked when I came over and called every Friday to check up on me. She was the one to pick me up when I would head over to Hawkins Lab for tests and just to do medical exams after the experience in the Upside down. She knew that whatever happened there changed me and Will. She knew it bonded us, more than any friendship he already had. Mike, Dustin, and Lucus welcomed my presents when they had campaigns or even movie nights. Mike especially welcomed me into the party, giving me the tidal of Diviner, meaning I was a protection mage. I thought it was sweet and took the time to let the boys teach me D&D.