last ditch effort

The car stopped

The car stopped. We all jumped out of the except for Steve who stumbled a little bit before regaining his balance. We all continued with the plan, heading down into the labyrinth of demo dogs' holes. Steve took the lead, I stayed in the back making sure nothing creeps its way up to us. I watched as the Party continued its way down the holes. Dustin stayed back with me and I managed to keep him from getting shot at by some sort of Upside Down flower. It didn't take long to find the center of the maze and drench it in gasoline. I could feel the dogs, the life of the Upside Down withering under my feet. I kept my composure. I wanted all this over with. I wanted it gone.

"Oh my god! Oh my god!" Dustin yelled as we made our way out of the hole.

"If you keep yelling Oh my god I'm going to kill you Dustin" I yelled back at the boy. We continued running and eventually had to go back because Mike tripped. When we did the Deep-Dogs got to us, and Dart found his owner. Dustin crept forward towards his dog, he was kind to him, he was sweet words his Demogorgon dog that he somehow formed a weird bond with. I watched as Dustin cared about his dog, and how he knew he was his friend. We crept past his dog and went to find the hole we came in at. Steve did his best to hoist us up out of the hole before the Demo Dogs could make it. Dustin, my brother, and I were the last ones in the hole when the dogs ran past us. They ran past us to the gate.

"Eleven is at the gate, she's closing it," I told them, Mike smiled big at those words, "Wills better too" The others were gland things were going on track and that we were finally closing the door to the Upside down. I worried about Eleven though. While she had her powers I wondered how much she could take before things got worse for her. I knew this fight wouldn't be over, the chill down my neck proved that.

+*+

After that Christmas rolled around the corner. Billy, despite still having little idea about what happened that night had decided to spring the idea of going to the dance on me.

The doorbell rang and Steve begrudgingly answered it, Billy stood on the other side. I could hear their thoughts from a mile away as I raced downstairs. I spoke without thinking, knowing I would have to tell Billy about some of the things sooner or later.

"Don't you dare kill him Steve" I yelled toward my brother as I rushed down the stairs

"I wasn't"

"Cant lie to me," I said pointing at my head, he scoffed and left the door.

"Hey!" He yelled from the stairs catching both my and Billy's attention. "Don't screw this up Hargrove"

Billy surprisingly nodded his head, understanding the statement. I closed the door stepping out into the cold air.

"Look, I'm sorry about that night and not explaining everything to you. I" I started.

"I don't care, Ronny I just want you happy, and id like that to be with me, even though still partially an asshole," He said. I smiled

"A self-aware asshole maybe"

"I apologized to Max. She threw a book at my head which I deserved"

"He kinda did" "there are things in, Hawkins I wish I could explain to you.."

"Like how you have powers?"Billy asked

"Yea that," I said solemnly.

"How?"

"Remember how I got lost last year," I asked him, face hidden from the porch-light

"In the woods," he said like it was the simplest answer out there.

"No. No, I got lost somewhere else. Somewhere worse" I told him

I didn't tell him anymore after that, saying it was late and my brother was making dinner. He nodded and told me he still cared and he was trying to be better. I believed him.