3. Well-Suited Men

Our helicopter finally landed in front of the beachside club in Toulon. We had arrived fashionably-late, only because I took extra care of my look when we stopped back at my residence to freshen up.

The noisy blades whirred to a stop, the sound of pulsing music to replace it drained from the cantina.

Night had fallen, and stars lined the sky above the buzzing resteraunt. The ocean's waves crashed below, raindrops still spitting from the sky.

Lines of colorful supercars and hypercars filled the front parking lot.

"Finally, I've been waiting for this aalll day, my instagram story is going to be lit" Laurent said in relief, stretching and stepping out of the helicopter.

"This stupid pilot flew too slow, and now we are fucking late!" He remarked, well within earshot of the pilot.

He stormed into the venue, searching for his mates.

"Désolée pour ça," I said out of compassion to the pilot and handed him a few bills from my handbag. Having to cover for the actions of Laurent yet again; I was almost getting used to it.

Louise gave me a side-eye.

Louise and I were helped to the entranceway and rather glamorously arrived to the party with the valets greeting us.

Laurent was right, there were already a flood of people inside. Drinks were being passed around, and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

"Some party this is. I heard that all the Formula One drivers are here. And paparazzi, of course." Louise leaned in as we clomped up the stone plastered steps to the entrance.

"Great, and thats just what I need. More publicity." I rolled my eyes. "Here we go,"

Hundreds of pairs of eyes were watching us enter, murmers and whispers passed around. The mysterious billionaire's daughter had entered.

We were shown to a table and started a chat with a few other socialites. I couldnt help but glance over to one table, closer to the front of the resteraunt.

It was filled with well-suited men. And swarming with other people to check in on them.

"Are those the Formula One drivers?" I asked, nodding to the table.

"Yes, thats just about everyone, Verstappen, Russell, Gasly, Norris; the whole lot" said a girl. I took note of that, but turned instead my attention to the array of truffle pastas which had arrived.

As the night went on, I noticed one of the Formula guys looking over at me. Laurent had abandoned our table to join a few of his mates at the bar, and delicate desserts were being offered to us.

I accepted in a haze, and jerked my neck around the waiter to see if the man was still there. He was.

And what a beautiful man he was. Butterflies immediately begun to stir in my stomach. With sweet brown hair and a carved jawline, and a suit which fit him perfectly. I dont know for sure, but I could slightly make out a grin on his face when he realized I was glancing back.

I broke eye contact awkwardly and turned to the polite banter of the table. -"But of course my family wants me to finish university, I really dont see the point of it!" "Well you have money, and nobody will take you serioualy as a stupid girl," Louise almost spat at the young socialite. I looked down at my dessert plate.

"You should go and talk to them," Said Louise, breaking me from my trance. She gestured over to the table of the men in suits.

"They would defidently talk to you; and make out to be good connections as well"

I thought about it for a second, and something came over me. For the first time, I felt nervous. But why would I feel apprehensive about meeting a race car driver? When I have everything and everyone in the world twisted around my finger?

The rest of the night I didnt talk much. I stole a few blank glances to my boyfriend at the bar, realizing how empty I truly felt.

Back in my bedroom, I brushed my hair and looked out my large paned window to the dark sea. The waves crashed on the shore in a rage, then calmly receding to the black void of the ocean.

There was something about that man at the table. With his friendly gaze and intoxicating appearance, there was something different about him.

I crawled into my bed and shut my eyes, listening to the pitter of rain on my rooftop in silence.

I didnt know; but that is what scared me.