12. Mafia-Men

Monaco; the crown jewel on the Mediterranean coastline. It glittered in the distance beyond the endless sea's sparkling ripples. The faint echos of seagulls droned out the crashing waves upon the distant breakwater.

A sunflower melody of cobalt blues, icy oranges, and pastel greens filled the sea.

A fragrent, yet obsolete combination of salty air and Baccarat Rouge eau de parfum filled the air.

You looked to your menacing father, Andresano, who sat quite comfortably beside you on an adjourning canvas lounge chair.

The tension between you was thick.

"Yes, I'll take one of those," he blurted in his eloquent Italian to the young french waitress who approached holding a tray of delicious bubbly drinks and crackers.

He possessed the profile of a wizened man, but one that's sparkle of his eyes insisted that he owned the world. Eyes like glass, with the danger of death looming behind them.

You had come to realize how old he had gotten since you last saw him.

His crinkled face, his slightly wrinkled tan button down shirt which you were certain contained a pistol in the interior pocket; the thin swirl of smoke tunneling from his cigar.

An awkward pause in a conversation between two unforgiving friends.

He turned to you in an attemptive manner during your casual yet uncomfortable conversation, like something snapped inside him-

"Julia, I hope you know how important this is to me," he looked out to the sparkling sea and took a long pause, "For more than twenty years, I have dedicated every day of my life to Ferrero."

You could feel something was immediately off with his tone, but also knew where this was going. You quickly intejected -"Could I please get one as well, thank you?" to the waitress which caught a side eye from your father. "A little Veuve Cliquot before lunch never hurts," you added with a wink.

-"Julia. We need to have a talk about this, and you need to listen to me. I dont know why you dont listen to me."

"Mmhmm"

Twirling a cracker between your two slender fingers, you stared intently into the sparkling sea.

"Are you going to listen to me today?" He again persisted and raised an eyebrow.

"You dont have to treat me like a child like this you know. I will listen." you grumbled, still glaring forwards with your eyebrows scrunching in ever so slightly.

"Ok then,-" he momentarily glanced down at his Patek Nautilus wristwatch, "-I will make this short. I need you to come to headquarters this coming Sunday. We have some principle itineraries planned for which I want you an influential contributer at the factory."

"Nooot the factoryy" you grumbled, uninterested in this imposed ask.

Plus, the Zandvoort Grand Prix would be this Sunday. If Charles secured P1, he would have enough points to be world champion. Coming off of his best season yet, you wouldnt miss it for the world.

"Yes, and I believe you need to take on some more responsibilities with the leadership of our company. You know I dont bother you with much, but this is important Julia, it's our legacy we are talking about here,".

He paused again for it to soak in, "I would hope you'd care enough about it than to brush it aside and frolick on your new life away from any responsibility."

As much as you would have liked to disagree with your father here, you knew that he was right. But you werent going to let him know that. You paused, then said in a soft voice,