5. Butterflies

*authors note* I am changing the tense of the story from "I" to "You". I just feel like it is more natural to write and blends smoother into the story. Happy reading! :)

A few weeks and races had passed by. You and Charles had communicated quite a bit by text. Following eachothers Instagrams, and getting to know eachother as merely friends. He turned out to be super sweet and down to earth, and you liked him. A lot.

But you had a boyfriend, Laurent. And Charles knew it. Deep down inside, you would rather try things out with Charles but it would be so incredibly risky.

If Laurent found out, he could do anything. Him and his family had connections in high places if you know what I mean.

You werent the type of girl to do something like that. But it is incredibly tempting...

The next race was Imola, and after that would be summer break so you wouldnt see Charles for a while. And lucky for you, Laurent was in Ibiza during this time for "buisness".

You woke up in the nicest hotel in Imola. Everything was last minute as your jet was being repaired, so you ended up having to share a room and queen sized bed with Marsie due to the large influx of people come race weekend.

"Marsie, you are really something else. You were tossing all night!" You said, while stretching and rubbing last night's mascara out from under your eyes. Your best friend sat up, her thick black hair in a tangle.

"That is because it is pretty much boiling in here! I dont know what is wrong with the air conditioner, didnt you feel it? This heatwave is absolutely killing me". She rubbed her head slowly.

"Noo, I tend to run very cold all the time," You remarked with a laugh.

You two girls got dressed up in a giddy of laughter for today's grand prix at the track. You had told Marsie all about the situation with Charles, and she was super excited to see something happen between you.

You twirled strands of hair around a scorching curling iron, and pondered what way you would surprize him.

You picked out a black strapless bustier top with some cute jeans and colorful Nike sneakers, a neutral beige classic flap, and a few diamond bracelets.

You stared at your reflection in the mirror. Was your hair shiny enough? Were your teeth white enough? Was your makeup absolutely perfect?

"Flawless." Said Marsie from over your shoulder, making a few adjustments to your hair. "This is the first time I see him since that day weeks ago. What if he changes his mind and doesnt like me anymore?"

"Well. What's there not to like? Besides, this dress really makes your blue eyes pop, and men love that!" Marsie said confidently, reaching for her handbag and getting ready to head out. All I could do was look at my feet.

"But what do I know about men. Nothing. This is all wrong I just know it is. I cant do this, I just cant."

"Julia dear, you cant just leave a seriously handsome and single man in the dust after trailing him on like this. You know that you and Laurent wont last long term, so what are you going to do?" My lip trembled a bit. Your stomach seemed to be in knots, out of nervousness but also excitement.

"I will try Marsie," I said pushing open our hotel room door. We began to walk down the square to the track, only a few strides away. I said again under my breath, more to myself than anyone. "I will try"...

You two arrived at the racetrack. The sun was already beating down over the hoardes of fans settling into their seats. The crowd was filled with caps of all colors, posters, and team attire; but mostly red as Imola is home of Ferrari.

You and Marsie were able to score some paddock passes last minute at an inflated price, and cruised right in. Looping the holographic lanyard around your neck, "Charles told me to meet with him in front of the team building"

"Well then; I'll be in here," Marsie pointed to a comfortable looking breakfast lounge and kissed my cheek as a goodbye. "Goodluck. And dont let the cameras find you."

...

"You are Julia?" Said a familiar voice from behind me, sending a tantilizing chill down my spine as I realized who it belonged to.

"Charles!" You exclaimed, turning around to take in the pretty boy which you every so loathed to see. "Its great to see you again!"

And was he pretty. His face seemed to glow under the sun, his wide blue eyes like bottomless pits of affection, and his hair neatly combed over. His face transfixed with a crooked smile. As soon as you saw him all of the butterflies melted away. Just being in his prescence made you immediately comfortable and relaxed.

You two both sort of stood there and soaked in the appearence of the rather attractive beings of eachother. A slight pause that said a thousand words.

It was almost funny to you how you both acted like friends, but you know that deep down you both wanted more than that. It was only a matter of who would speak up about it first.

He started to show you around a bit of the paddock, but to be honest the only thing you were transfixed apon was him. Watching him comb his angel hands through his hair, his dreamy eyes catch yours for fractions of a second before awkwardly splitting away. His cologne making its way to your nose, sending you into an immediate lovestruck high.

Something about Charles was so different from any other man you have been with before. Everytime you locked eyes with him, you saw your dreams solidifying into reality.

You walked through the tour obligingly, but then came time to part ways so Charles could prepare for the race although he was too polite to say it.

You put on your sunglasses and prepared yourself to walk down the blistering hot paddock back to the viewing areas, when he caught your hand gently. It took you by surprize.

"Julia, I was wondering if you would like to join me for dinner tonight? I know a great place we can go, I can book us a reservation if you would like?" He took a blunt step back, preparing for the aftershock of such exotic statement.

A smile crept onto your face. "Oh! Charles, I-- I-" You took off your glasses to look him in the eyes again and stuttered a bit. "I would love to!" You could feel the blood rush to your head. He released your hand.

"I'll text you," Charles said with a wink before he dissapeared into the crowds of the pitboxes.