Prologue

"I've decided that I'm leaving this sick place tonight". I said, giving them each a look.

"Hell yeah!". Cole whooped.

"I'm in. I can't see myself getting married to an old man". Carina said.

"When do we leave?". Marley asked. Then we all looked at Jason.

"What?", He looked at all of us as though we were crazy. "I can't leave. Where would we go? How are we going to survive? None of us has ever stepped outside these walls. We don't even know what's out there". Jason had a point but I couldn't let them ruin my life.

"Rina, he has a point. I am scared". Carina sighed.

No! They weren't bailing on me. Not now, not ever.

"Remember when we made a pledge to each other. We said we were going to have each other's backs". I said raising my voice up a notch.

"This is madness, Rina. We were kids when we all took that pledge", Jason stood up and crossed his hands. "This is something bigger than any of us, think about it. If you get caught, you know the punishment". We all swallowed audibly.

"We aren't going to get caught! I have a plan and enough money to get us out of here. Isn't it suspicious enough that they don't allow us outside these walls? We're being trained to be who we are not supposed to be. I just need support from everyone here and I'm not scared to go alone, I'll only feel guilty that my friends didn't tag along". I said, raising my chin in challenge, my eyes moving from one person to the other.

"I'm still in". Marley said.

"I think Rina's right, Jason, I can't get married to a man twice my age and then become his baby machine. I'll risk stepping out of these walls plus Rina has been my friend since birth". Carina said and we shared a smile.

"Yeah Man. I'll risk it too. See what the outside looks like. Plus it can't be as bad as they make it sound because the Elders go out for food and other things". Cole said.

Jason took a step back and it was in that moment I knew Jason was out. He would never come with us, it was also the end of our friendship. After all, his father was Chief and he was the next in line.

He knew a lot we didn't and sometimes, he hid things from us. He wanted to be like his Dad someday and the thought sickened me. We all knew how disgusting his father could be but we never mentioned a word about it, mostly because there were cameras everywhere except the bathrooms.

"Last chance, Jason. You have to choose between becoming the next Chief and your friends". I said pinning him with my strong gaze.

"No, you are asking me to choose between my family, my responsibilities and a group of childhood friends. I'm sorry but I can't do that. I wish you best of luck on your journey to the outside world. I'll give you guys an hour to pack up and leave before I report you guys to the council. It was nice having you guys. Goodbye now". He blew me a kiss, gave us each a look before he turned and left.

"He didn't just...". Carina was still in shock.

"We don't have time to analyze this situation. Let's go grab our stuff. Rina, where should we meet you?". Marley asked.

Sometimes, I loved the way Marley thinks. She was smart and very strong.

"By the third gate to the left. Be there in twenty minutes or the ninjas will catch up with us". I said and they all left, leaving me standing in the barely lit tent.

I stood there, in the same spot and stared hard at the spot where Jason stood minutes ago. Jason was the fourth one in our circle, he was loved despite our hatred for his Dad. I saw his betrayal coming but I didn't know how and now I do. My stomach stirred with disgust and hatred coiled in my heart.

I hated Jason now. He was an enemy. There was no acceptance of the fact that he had always been our enemy since day one, yet. I knew it but I didn't at the same time. He used us, maybe he was sent by his father at first but he enjoyed our company..

I sighed, clearing up every thought from my head and mentally preparing myself for our escape. I went through every plan in my head again before leaving the tent.

~*~

Ten minutes later, we were gathered in front of the gate, away from the view of the rotating cameras. In five minutes, there will be change of guards that stand next to the gates and at that point, the gates will be open for inspection of anything on the other side of it. That was our chance to run out of here.

"We run and we do it together. Do you understand me?". I asked looking at them from where we were crouched down. They nodded in affirmation.

"What if we split up?". Carina asked, fear written all over her face. I took her hands and it was cold, she was shaking.

"Pull yourself together, Carina". Marley hissed.

"I'll hold your hand. We'll run side by side, okay?". I said.

"Yes", she breathed. "That's better".

"Marley and Cole, you two are behind me and Carina. Once we reach a safe place, we'll stop for water. Tie your laces again and no noise, if you see something, you signal us. I'm glad you guys are going with me, if anything happens then I'm at fault. This was my plan and I deserve the punishment". I said and we had a group hug.

"We're in this together, Rina". Cole said.

"No more separation". Marley added and something stronger passed through us, binding us tighter than before. The magic in her words made us feel stronger and braver.

"It's time". Carina said and we all stood up.

We watched as the guards left their positions, going back to camp and the gigantic gates slowly rolled open. We moved quietly as the swinging cameras positioned on the gate. Immediately it turned to the opposite side, we left our crouched position with a burst of speed, pouring through the gate in seconds.

We immediately hid behind the wall supporting the gates as the cameras came swinging again. Then, we heard footsteps as new guards came back and the gates slowly rolled shut. We all took in deep breaths and then took to our heels.

We ran for miles, crossing shallow rivers and climbing steep hills. We used the rocky mountains and deep parts of the forest so we don't get scented by the ninjas.

An hour later, we were still running but Carina started slowing down and panting really hard.

"We n-need to s-stop". She said taking in short breaths.

"Let's take a break then". I said raising my hand to stop the other two.

"What's the matter?". Marley asked irritated but breathing hard too, same as Cole.

"We need to rest. Humans only run for about thirty minutes before they collapse but we've been running for two hours, gimme a break". Carina said and sat down, her back to a tree.

We sat down and had a water break. I then took out a map I sneaked from Chief's office. We learnt how to read maps but using a compass made it's easier.

We planned going towards the East side because of the water bodies around. For once, I was glad I didn't tell them my plan at first because Jason would have gotten to know where we're headed.

As we were packing up, I felt a chill around my neck and the hairs on my neck stood still. I took in a deep breath and my eyes widened. The ninjas are miles away from us. Marley sensed them too, I grabbed Carina's hand and started running.

Using my sixth sense as guidance, I closed my eyes and our speed increased. I could feel them closing in on us.

I took out my dagger from the sheath attached to my belt and held it tightly. The ninjas formed a semi circle around us, there were about six of them. I signaled everyone to stop and we backed each other. Now the ninjas circled up, they knew we were going to fight this out to the death from the way we stood.

I jumped on the first guy and slammed the dagger in the middle of his head and removed it with force, blood splashing all over my body and clothes.

I wasn't going back there and the only thing they will take back if we lose is my corpse.

                            ________

Question for the day: What is your favourite dish?