Chapter Thirteen

Everything sounded clearer. The world was brighter. Even music sounded better. My mouth was a desert, but I chomped at the bit for food. I felt fuzzy on the inside and totally relaxed. This is what I've been missing. I'd never felt so calm. Seconds felt like hours, but everything felt like everything and nothing at the same time. It was all good.

An array of snacks lined the aisles, and the colors popped. I dragged my hand across a row of Cheese Puffs and cradled them in my hands. The bright fluorescent lights buzzed above my head. I scoured the aisles for candy. Val tapped the glass from inside one of the drink coolers and laughed. With a small wave, I cackled and dropped my Cheese Puffs onto the floor.

"Guys." Da-Bin rushed around the corner, pulling Val out. "They're gonna kick us out. I like this gas station."

Val choked. "Gas! He said gas."

Why was everything so funny? I flexed my muscles and forced a fart out. It whizzed through the air, sounding like popping bubbles. The smell funneled through my nose. Da-Bin swatted his hand in the air with a frown. Val and I couldn't contain ourselves. She let out a fart too. I howled in laughter, and we fell to the floor.

Scrambling onto the cold tiles, she picked up one of my Cheese Puffs and threw it at my face. "Puff, puff, pass."

Wren and Shae came around the corner. Wren's eyes were so bright, he looked like a mythical creature, Da-Bin's tattoos moved, and Shae's fro was so big, they looked like CeCe from The Proud Family.

The three of them stood in disbelief. Val looked up at Da-Bin and spit out her soda. He rolled his eyes as mountain dew sprayed from her mouth and onto my skin. I screamed. It felt sticky and splattered onto my dress. But Wren said I looked pretty.

When Shae's whole body laugh caught my eye, I smiled for the picture they took of me.

Oh! I forgot! I took out my phone and snapped a few pictures, too. My cheese puff, Wren's face, my face.

Wren picked me up from the floor. "I can't take you back to Mrs. Davidson like this. She's gonna kill me."

"It's okay. I can stay with you."

He blushed, and I poked his cheek. "You look cute when you do that," I said.

I stared at him. He really was beautiful. His fingers wrapped around my hand, and he pulled me to the counter. After paying for my things, we headed back outside. Val, Shae, and Da-Bin followed behind when I heard a loud plop. The three of them screamed in laughter, and Da-Bin helped Val up.

It sent me to oblivion, and I laughed so hard, I cried. Wren pulled me to the car, and I hopped in the backseat with Shae. When Da-Bin and Val were secure in their car, Wren's engine rumbled. My teeth rattled as he sped onto the street. He drove with the top down again. Where were we going next?

The air made me feel sleepy, and at some point, I fell asleep. When I woke up, we were in The Grove's parking lot. Buskers lined the street. From one genre to the next, music met us at every turn. The park was too crowded and the restaurants were overcapacity. So we commandeer a picnic table.

The smell of pizza made my mouth water. Val and I ganged up on Wren until he agreed to get one.

When my phone buzzed, I knew who it was without looking. Mrs. Davidson must be checking up on me. When I tried to answer, Shae snatched the phone from my hands.

"If she finds out, she'll tell Dad."

Like he'd actually care. But he'd be disappointed I brought Shae along.