Chapter Eighteen

Deeper down the block, the buildings curved to a close and created a nook. It must have been a break area but they cleaned it out for Wren's impromptu concert. The mural started here. The vibrant colors sprawled over the windows and climbed high up onto the buildings.

Colors radiated in the small area. Red, yellow, and green lights flickered on the concrete. They lined the corners and twinkled up above our heads. Flowers of every kind laid at our feet.

And there, right in the middle, stood Wren, his ukulele, and mic. He charmed the crowd with light conversation as Mr. Fisher and I muscled to the front.

"I want to thank S. Fisher for letting me play for you all tonight. He's one of my favorite artists, so I hope you continue to support him."

The crowd roared in appreciation, and with one glance my way, he started. It was a contrast from the first time I saw him play. He seemed bigger than he did now. Here, he felt more human.

I noticed little things he did. Like how he tapped his foot to stay in time or how he'd mumble to himself before he addressed the crowd. He had a habit of watching me while he performed. Like I was a spectacle among his spectators. Whenever I clapped or swayed to a melody, he'd smile.

His set was short. Only four songs in total. As he finished up, the crowd emptied out and he was all mine again.

"How'd you find him?" I ask when Mr. Fisher walked back to his exhibit.

"I'm pretty sure Shae found him the night you mentioned it. I mean, I thought I was persuasive. Shae's got me beat."

"What did they do?" Shae still found ways to help me. The mere mention of their name reminded me of the state of my family. I didn't want this trip to end. Not only was it actually fun, I didn't want to go back and greet my mother for the last time. If I could, I'd stay here forever.

"Ready for your surprise?" he asked.

"This wasn't my surprise?"

His fingers wrapped around mine and he stirred us to the nearest door. What else did he have planned? I didn't know it was possible for someone to care about me this much. Romance of any kind only existed in books. I was never desired or experienced the infamous high school first love people never got over. But he gave that to me. He wanted to give me everything I dreamed of, and I had no idea why.

He led me through a lobby and out the back doors. I saw large willow trees, evergreens, and birdhouses. A walkway that weaved down the grass guided our footsteps. It disappeared down a hill. The night sky was the only thing in front of us.

And just like that, we were in the park. This place was magical. Everything led to something else. I was enraptured, but he tugged me forward. As we cleared the top of the hill, I finally got to see what laid beyond the trees.

A lake settled at the bottom. It swayed into the night. More fairy lights circled the trees and shined onto the boats at the lake's side. Golden lights decorated the boats, and they emerged from the darkness and into the middle.

I pushed my glasses up for a clearer view and realized the golden lights were lanterns.

"The-the dress. Your outfit. It makes so much sense now." I touched the two French braids I'd done earlier on his request. He even recreated my hair.

"Come on. We're already late," he said.

People occupied almost every inch of the area. An elderly man met us at the last boat at the dock. When Wren and I were safely inside, he offered us two lanterns. Placing them in my lap, Wren paddled deeper into the water. And within seconds, the waiting crowd let their lanterns go.