Chapter Twenty-Three

One Month Later

I thought about Wren at the same time every day. 12:30 p.m. It was right after my break. I'd spend most of it talking to Shae. We sent them off to London last week and neither of us had fully let go. They rattled on and on about places I'd love and things they wanted to accomplish. Working with designers, helping at photoshoots, honing their craft. Everything they wanted was right at their fingertips.

Dreams really did come true.

And that's when he would cross my mind.

I finished my animation story almost two weeks ago. I sent it off, and I got it. Regina wanted me for the internship. I was awe-inspiring, she said. I took initiative and rose to the occasion. And I turned it down.

Animation wasn't my dream. It took this summer to realize it didn't thrill me. And I wanted it to.

I made the animation story for Wren. To honor my hummingbird. It was the story of my summer. Maybe I made it out of guilt or as a farewell. But I knew, deep down, I made it because I didn't want to disappoint him. I didn't want everything he did to go in vain.

And just like that, thoughts of Wren would fill my day. Although I hadn't seen him in weeks, he was stuck with me. Maybe I was stuck with him too.

"Nora!" my father shouted from downstairs. "Can you take out the trash?"

I liked keeping busy. And with one man short, the restaurant needed a lot of attention.

I hoisted the bag onto the ground. Is this thing made of cement? The smell of hot sauce and boiled eggs wafted in my face as I twisted a knot. When I secured the bag, I dragged it to the back of the alley.

Flies raved at their new home and I buried the bag in with the rest. Across the street, I heard a woman's muffled cry. She was wrapped in someone's arms. He stood a few feet above her. Her stout frame nestled into his chest.

When she pulled away, I noticed her short curly hair and unwavering smile. I'd seen her somewhere. And as the memory of her appeared, she popped the trunk of a cherry red mustang.

It was Wren, dressed exactly like the day I first met him, only now, his leather jacket was perfect for the season. He rushed to her as she pulled out an enormous suitcase. She stuffed containers of food into the pockets, and I caught the mention of an airplane.

He's leaving?

As the question bobbed through my mind, I sprinted across the street. A series of honks scattered through the air and captured his attention. At my ravenous pursuit, his eyes enlarged.

"Nora!" The woman beamed.

I felt embarrassed. She was the woman who gave Wren his first job. She believed in him so much she let him break into her restaurant on our first date. And I couldn't even remember her name.

She gave the type of hug that made you want to cry and confess all your problems. But Wren stole all my attention; I couldn't give her any.

"I'm Greta. Wren has told me so much about you. I'm like his mom away from his mom." She smiled, locking arms with me. Her attention centered on a flustered Wren. "This thing's leaving us for L.A. You don't find women like us outside of Elk Rose."

"You're moving to California?" My voice swelled and sitting birds dispersed into the trees.

Greta took a step back and wrung her hands. "Oh, I just remembered I was supposed to wash the iron today. I better go."

As she shuffled into her apartment building, she hugged Wren one last time.

At what point was he going to tell me he was leaving? When he was on the plane or five months later, when I crossed his mind? I get I was the one who wanted space, but if he was leaving, he could've picked up the phone and talked to me. It wasn't fair. I didn't like being left in the dark. I thought he cared enough to tell me if his feelings had changed. Mine hadn't.