Chapter Fifteen

When a cool breeze slid across my arms, I finally felt the sun. It beamed from above, crisping the top of my head. I wasn't sure when I fell asleep. When I swiveled in my seat, I figured it must have been a while ago. Aches fanned over my back and legs as I uncurled from Wren's passenger seat. Seagulls called out for food in the sky, but the bright blue sea caught my attention.

He brought me to the beach.

I flung out the car, throwing my shoes into the backseat. From the boiling concrete to the warm wooden steps, I pummeled down to the sandy coast. The sun shined differently here. As if the beach was the selling point to keep enduring summer. The heat was thick as the sand wrapped around my feet.

When the sun tucked behind a cloud, I took in the view. The sky and clear water melted together seamlessly. And in the middle was Wren, falling with the crashing waves as his surfboard launched away from him. Popping his head up, he found me instantly. Waving for me to come closer, he dipped back into the water and began to swim.

When I made it to the foot of the ocean, he was on solid ground. Water droplets hung from his lashes as he took his last steps towards me. The surfboard slipped from his hands and melted into the soggy sand. He looked radiant. The sun showed off, highlighting his best features.

"Did you sleep? You must've driven all night." The last thing I remembered was packing. The idea of a road trip outshined Mrs. Davidson's worries. When she realized his friends would be joining us, she let me go.

"I did last night," he said.

"When did you have time to sleep?"

The crowded beach almost upstage his chuckle. Stopping my next question short, he took my hand and weaved through the chaos of occupied spots. His tethered red and black blanket laid right in the middle of the beach. An umbrella was deposited into the sand and hung over a bag of gummy worms, my tablet, and his journal.

"Songbird, it's two in the afternoon." He pushed me onto the blanket and surprise drummed through my veins.

"I overslept!?"

He laughed. "Overslept for what? You got something planned?"

"No...I mean...the day, it's wasted." Digging my feet into the warm sand, I dropped my gaze.

"You're actually on time."

I hadn't fully woken up yet, and he already plotted something. "For what?"

He didn't answer, but he didn't have to. Right on cue, Val's sharp scream exploded at the beach's entrance. Bystanders ogled at her excitement as she zipped past a family of four. Da-Bin was right behind her, and together they carried armfuls of food, nostalgic games, and other beach activities.

Seeing Val made me feel giddy. I launched from my seat and threw her into a hug.

"I'm so happy you're here," I said.

"Me too. After your little allergy disaster at work, Ivy felt bad and let me leave earlier."

"That's...great." The words fumbled between my lips, and I rubbed the back of my neck. Still not over that. I can't believe I got fired on my very first day.

Val rolled her eyes and grabbed my hand. "Girl, it's not even a big deal. Come on."

Darting to the bathroom, she introduced me to three bathing suit options. After I chose the wrong one twice, she sweet-talked me into a two-piece. It wasn't long before we found ourselves on the beach again. She sunbathed, listening to music, I drew. Inspiration struck, and I didn't want to stop.

"Alright, let's go," Wren said.

Peeking over the tablet, I spotted Da-Bin at his side. He tapped on Val's bare leg and she sat up. When I offered Wren a quick glance, he nodded to the ocean.