A Hero's System (Prologue) - 1

There 'he' stood, in the middle of the dark and glamorous palace. A malicious smile was apparent on his face, destroyed only by the opening of his mouth.

"Hero! Your time is over!"

'...'

"Too scared to talk?"

'The same attitude over and over, what kind of joke is this?'

"Shut up," My inner voice croaked.

I could not control my annoyance.

'Free me of this cursed cycle already.'

"So the her- UgH, is this really how it ends for me!?"

The demon king's ragged body falls to the ground from a simple stab.

'Hah... Meaningless, it's all meaningless,' Over and over, the same story has repeated.

As the curtains fall to this redundant story, I am taken away to the only home I know, the abyss.

-X-

"Why is there always a role for me to take? Hero?! What about my own freedom!?" Laying down in nothingness I cried out.

Being placed in the unending cycle role of *Hero*, I followed the path to a world's salvation. My own consciousness woke in new bodies, new lives, to fulfil the same role of hero. The one who would save humanity from extinction.

It is said Gods are merciful, benevolent, kind, and caring. If that was true maybe, just maybe, I could have lived a life.

Freedom. That is all I ever desired. Every method possible I've tried, communicating with Gods, ancient and forbidden arts, demon summonings. Never was there help, not even a clue.

Gods? Not high enough 'tiered'.

Magic? Limits.

Demons? Had no idea.

Nothing could be done. I had accepted it, a will, broken and shattered. And yet I clung to hope, that one day I will truly be free.

I had to escape.

"So 'hero', you still haven't given up?" Unfamiliar words rung out from the abyss.

'A voice...?' I have finally reached the depths of insanity.

"Would you be interested in leaving this place?"

'If only it was that easy, this voice was clearly lacking simple common sense.'

"I am not just a voice! I am your to-be-saviour!"

Saviour? It seems it still has not let go of its naivety.

"Muuuu... Guess I'll come there myself," The voice faded into obscurity.

I do not recall being able to communicate with spirits of the void.

Should I gather up my optimism and wish for another smooth demon-king clearing?

My eyes which adjusted to the pitch black of the void, were suddenly scorched from an abrupt bright light.

"Believe me now?"

A figure was slowly approaching me. It was too mesmerising, my eyes could not leave it. Beautiful straight silver hair, a short yet elegant posture, and an aura worthy to be called divine.

"Charmed with my appearance? Should be! I am the one and only Goddess in the Heavens!" The appearance of divinity was replaced with a little girl's image.

I was left speechless, those thoughts I just had were all blown away. What type of egocentric child was formed out of my desperation!?