Chapter Eleven

Libby collapsed onto the lawn, exhausted after a ten mile run. Still, the endorphin high was a must when she faced two days off. Since the grounding exercise, she'd had no inappropriate thoughts about Robbie and their working relationship continued as if the hug never happened. He'd still be uncommunicatively grumpy in the morning, ignoring her, but at five when she'd head into the kitchen to drop off the key, he'd be waiting with a glass of wine. They never mentioned policemen or errant wives, keeping their chat to the health and well-being of the horses, yet here she was, already wishing she could pop round for a post work wine. She'd miss him. 

Jack appeared from the kitchen doorway, the door now absent. 'Good run?' 

Able to breathe again, Libby nodded and went into the kitchen for a glass of water.  

'Xander's in training for the Lum Valley Fell Race and he's daring me do it too.' 

She drained her drink, watching Jack hammering at the doorframe, his muscles tensing as he ripped the rotten wood from the wall. In his black work trousers and sleeveless t-shirt, with a tool belt hanging around his waist, he could easily have stepped from the cover of some erotic novel.  

He must have rough hands. Why isn't he single? He'd so do me. Crikey, he could so do me. 

The shrill doorbell yanked her from her reverie and she came back to reality, realising she was staring at Jack. And he was returning the favour, flashing a cheeky smile.  

'You going to get that?' he asked, turning back to the frame. 

Oh god, he so knew she'd been perving at him. Grateful for the excuse to run away, she ran to answer the door. Sadly, Andy was waiting on the other side, in his uniform, including the hat.  

'What?' 

'Can we talk?' Andy had his hands shoved in his pockets, and he glanced at his feet for a moment. 'Please?' 

She wanted to tell him to bugger off, but instead, she stepped back and they went into the living room. 

'Look, Libby,' he said as he perched on the windowsill, 'I'm sorry.' 

She sat down too, but as far from him as possible. 'What do you want?' 

He still had his hands in his pockets, staring at his boots. 'You.' 

'No, you want Holly.' She narrowed her eyes as he opened his mouth. 'Don't bother lying.' 

He swore and turned to her. 'But come on, Lib. We understand each other. That weekend was amazing, wasn't it?' 

Yes, the weekend had been amazing, but it was somewhat undermined by him closing his eyes and thinking of his ex-wife.  

'It doesn't matter what-' She stopped as Stan wandered in carrying a coil of blue piping. He nodded at her and she forced a pleasant smile.  

Andy used the interruption to edge closer. 'We could start over.'  

'What, so you can close your eyes and pretend I'm her again? Not a chance.' She stood up, moving away from him. 'I'm worth more than that.' 

'You are.' He grabbed her wrist, gently pulling her to him. 'I'm sorry.' 

She tried to move back, but found herself against the wall, staring into those stupidly blue eyes. Oh god, why were his eyes so mesmerising? She shook her head. 'No. I'm not going to go out with someone who wants someone else. It's wrong.' 

'You and your morals.'  

'Yeah, well, you don't appear to have any and look how life's working out for you.'