Chapter Forty-Three

While the monsoon downpour lashed down, Zoe opened up her laptop and sipped her rum and soda. Bajan rum, was there anything better?

On Facebook, she logged in as Angelique Ballet-Freak and scanned through Ed's latest messages. He was still in Barcelona. He'd found her within a week on Facebook and just over four weeks in real life, but for six months she'd stayed one step ahead. Funny, she didn't need to - she wasn't on the run. Neither Libby nor Ed had gone to the police, but keeping Ed at arm's length, gave Zoe that all important element of control. And knowing the lengths he'd go to find her, well, that didn't hurt either.

Libby had uploaded a batch of new photos. Ah, the house-warming. Jesus, the farmhouse she and Patrick had bought needed a new roof and about fifty grand throwing at it, but she could see the potential. The perfect family home. Funny, Libby hated living in the building site, yet here she was, doing it again.

The photos showed Robbie, Vanessa, Scott, Clara, Xander and Daisy, the usual faces, even Grace and Jack, all smiling and holding glasses of wine or bottles of beer in the July sunshine. Zoe paused on a photo of Libby and Patrick. He had his arms around her, his head on her shoulder as they faced the camera. Libby had bare feet. Patrick had fixed Olivia Wilde. Another photo showed them with a spaniel at their feet, while they cooed over that bloody cat. Zoe smiled, tapping his nose via the screen.

Hello, Hyssop. Considering you hated me, you did me so many favours.

'Sweetie, there you are,' called a familiar, ridiculously clipped voice. 'I've brought the parents for a drink.'

Zoe shut the laptop only moments before Tabitha, her newest best-friend, air-kissed her. Zoe gushed the usual hellos, but already focussed on the couple stood behind Tabitha.

'Mummy, Daddy, this is Verity.' Tabitha swung her auburn hair over one shoulder as she turned back to them. 'Verity, meet my mum, Lucinda, and my dad, Seamus.'

Lucinda reached up, gently touching one of Zoe's earrings. 'Beautiful diamonds.'

Zoe feigned a pleasant smile, but her eyes fixed on Mr Seamus Doyle. He seemed awfully pale for someone who'd spent the last month in Barbados.

Hello, Daddy.

*** The End ***

Well, thank you for reading to The End. Woo hoo. :) 

Did you guess whodunit? Was it a no brainer or so much of a shock that it seemed odd? I'd love to know. Feedback so far is that NO ONE guessed, (or they did initially but then dismissed her), but I'm worried that I haven't left enough clues.

I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts.

And I'm making a soundtrack - it's mostly Mumford & Sons, Emile Sande, Hurts and a little Lady Gaga thrown in for fun - but if you have an suggestions... lemme have them. Any I use will bag you a dedication and my everlasting adoration (not sure which matters more!)

But seriously, I'm beyond happy to know you got this far. If you liked it, don't forget to vote. If you thought it was a but bleh, let me know what you didn't like. I know Distraction's a bit long - I plan to edit it considerably, but before I do, I'd really like to hear what YOU thought worked and didn't work.

This is the C21st - you get to have an input into books as they're written. Tell me what you think - I will listen.

But that's Distraction for now. If you liked it, and I seriously hoped you did, then please check out my first book, Forfeit. It's the story of Daisy and Xander - they get together in the end. You'll know that from reading Distraction, but I don't think it's a massive spoiler because the interesting bit about Daisy and Xander is what they get up to in the ultimate game of dares.

http://www.wattpad.com/story/8778989-forfeit-the-ultimate-game-of-dares

Cx