Chapter Fifteen

Xander shook his head, but it only made Libby smile.

'Too happy,' he said. 'Seriously, you always have this stupid grin. A couple of weeks ago, you looked ready to top yourself.'

Libby fixedly focussed on the bridleway. Did she look happy? Most likely. Was she? Most definitely. For the past two weeks her life had surpassed the idyllic rural dream. The sun had shone, her job was great, Jack had finished at the house, Andy stayed away, and every day, she got to shag Mr Robbie Golding.

Twice he'd surprised her by turning up after lunch. The first time, they'd enjoyed another romp in the hay barn, and the second time ended up with a much less itchy romp up against the wall in Jupiter's stable. After her initial experimentation with Andy, the up-against-the-wall-shag had risen tenfold in Libby's estimation.

But the evenings were the best. With Tallulah at Pony Club Camp, Libby would pop back to Low Wood Farm after Robbie had tucked Dora and Matilda into bed. He'd often cook dinner and after, they'd talk, laugh and behave utterly inappropriately in front of the fire.

Two weeks. For two weeks, she'd enjoyed a horribly secret, but blissful relationship with Robbie. Okay, relationship might be pushing it. They'd never spend the night together or hold hands walking down the street. All she'd get would be illicit moments until his wife came back, but he'd raised Libby's standards. You were either Somebody or a Distraction and now she knew enough to make the distinction. Robbie taught her to expect more.

'Ten miles,' Xander said, still shaking his head. 'I've been asking for ten miles and you still haven't told me. Who is he?'

She slowed to a jog as they approached the Square. 'Are you all set for the party? Burgers, chicken drumsticks, pasta salads... cake?'

'All in hand.'

'And you haven't forgotten that two of Matilda's friends can't eat dairy?'

'Cheese separated from the meat and rolls.'

'And the cake?'

'Pastry chef has promised a fairy princess palace with glitter, sugar work and Smarties.'

'Awesome.' Libby stopped outside her garden and pulled her right foot up behind her. 'Ring me if you need anything.'

Suddenly he pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head. 'Thank you, for everything you've done for Rob. I know you two are BFFs these days, but I bet he won't say how hard he finds it without Van. You doing things like Tilly's party, it means a lot, and I can see how much happier he's been for the last...'

Libby didn't like the way he stepped back frowning. Oh god, had he guessed? She flicked her plait off her shoulder refusing to shift her gaze under Xander's scrutiny.

'I've got to go,' she said. 'I'm varnishing skirting boards today.'

She braved a smile before, jogging into the garden, trying not to panic, but Xander was still stood staring at her with his hands on his head. He'd guessed.

*

The camera clicked. Pay dirt.

'It's me. I got her.'

'Who with?' Michael Wray asked.

'You're going to love this.'

The expectant pause hovered between them.

'Alexander Golding.'

*

Three fields from away from the farmhouse, shielded from the world by dense oak woods, Libby sat by the river, adoring the warmth of the August sunshine. She ought to put her vest and shorts back on, just in case, but the glorious decadence of being naked in the open was too good an opportunity to miss. She smiled as Robbie, still shirtless, poured glasses of Prosecco. A lazy picnic by the river, what better way to spend their day off?