Chapter Forty-Two

Libby's eyes began flickering as the first of the blue lights flashed in the Square, but Patrick kept his vigil, holding her hand, smiling a little as her fingers curled around his.

'Come on, Libs,' he whispered, kissing her forehead for the hundredth time. 'Fight through it. The ambulance is here, princess.'

'Actually, it's not.' Grace peered through the window. 'It's one of them ER docs on a motorbike. Fingers crossed for a George Clooney lookalike.'

As Grace went out to meet the doctor, Patrick took a deep breath, but didn't look away from Libby's face.

'Dad?' He cleared his throat. 'If she... when Libby's okay, we're going to go out. Scott's sorting things out to stop Wray printing any ludicrous stories, but people will talk. I can't stop that and if it breaks the Rules...'

'Patrick, now's not-'

'I know it might take some time to gain your respect, but if you do sack me, I was thinking, maybe I could buy the practice. I don't want to set up shop in competition with you, but I'm not giving up everything I have here.' Patrick dared to face his dad.

Please don't hate me.

Malcolm rocked on his heels. 'Obviously, I'd rather there was no scandal, but under the circumstances, if there is...'

'If there is?'

'Well, I can't think of anyone better to take over the practice than you.' Malcolm nodded, his eyes shining. 'You're a hell of a vet, Patrick, but for the last couple of years, you've not been quite the man you should be.'

For the first time since Patrick graduated from Vet's School, his dad hugged him. Just for a few seconds, but it meant the world.

'I'm sorry for letting you down, dad.'

'I know. We could tell when you came back from Spain. You'd changed.'

Their smiles and relief were short-lived as Grace showed the motorcycle doctor in, presenting the situation as she would an animal to Patrick. Patrick closed his eyes, pressing his lips to Libby's fingers. There were the expected exclamations of shock, horror, disbelief that a vet would assume they could treat a human. Patrick expected nothing less.

'Duncan, good to see you,' his father said, standing up and shaking the doctor's hand.

Doctor McNamara, a friend of his father's, began his examination of Libby, his equipment saying exactly the same as Patrick's. Finally, he stood back and sighed. 'I don't... You may well have saved her life, but-'

Malcolm shook his head. 'Let's worry about Libby for now.'

Libby's eyes flickered open, her head shaking a little. '...the snakes...'

'Libs? It's Patrick. I know you're seeing weird things, but listen to me. Focus on me. I'm here, holding your hand, can you hear me?'

Libby stirred again. '...can't be Zoe... don't leave me.... where's Patrick?'

'I'm here.'

'... don't like the snakes...'

'Libs, they aren't real. There are no snakes. I promise you.'

'Who is she?' Dr McNamara asked.

'Olivia Wilde. She lives next door,' Malcolm answered.

'Her next of kin?'

'They're in Australia,' Patrick replied.

'But she must have someone here.' Duncan McNamara placed an avuncular hand on Libby's head.