16

~16~

~16~

            I had a cigarette sitting between my lips as I waited in front of the building for Colby to come by and pick me up. I had my fur coat tucked tightly against my skin. Its soft black fur moving against the wind and keeps me warm and cozy beneath. I suspected I would be waiting for Colby for a bit, which is why I chose such a heavy coat. But to my surprise, it had only been 3 minutes since Colby told me he would be pulling up soon, which let me know to head down. Now I've been standing here for 1 minute, and it didn't take long before a familiar red corolla pulled up in front of the skyscraper.

I could see Colby's eyes on me through the window, despite the tint. And I think our gaze met for a split second, making the whole situation suddenly feel more real.

But I wasn't the only thing he was looking at. No, he also caught sight of the furry creature by my side, and I think the bewilderment in his eyes was priceless.

Royalty was joining me today. She's my emotional support dog now, I've decided.

Besides, I think I could sick her on him if need be. So it's quite comforting.

She's doing well at her job already!

I let her into the backseat, releasing her leash so she may jump in, then closed the door behind her.

I wasted no time standing in the cold and walked in front of the car and around, getting in the passenger seat and shutting the door. I let out a breath and removed my sunglasses, which protected my eyes from the light reflecting off the thick, white, snow. It was a relief to be in such warmth.

"Meet Royalty." Was the first thing I said.

I looked at Colby, who kept his eyes on the road (minus the flew glances towards the backseat, where the golden retriever has already made herself comfortable) as he moved back into traffic and began our journey to the cafe just off of Central Park.

"Why the fuck is there a dog here," he kinda snipped.

"Have you got a problem with her?" I smiled teasingly, "Wow Colby, I didn't peg you as the dog-hating type. I guess it checks out, you must hate seeing something so similar to the male species. Like looking in a mirror huh?"

"I... no. I don't have a problem. Just... is she trained?" He questioned, eyeing her puppy dog eyes as she gleamed with pure joy,

I reached behind me to pet her head, "More than you, that's for sure." I responded, and Colby didn't bother to reply to that.

Just held back a remark and kept his eyes forward.

"Anyways, interesting time to invite me out, wouldn't you say?" I commented, keeping my eyes ahead and not at Colby's bicep, which was prominent as he only held the steering wheel with only one hand. His other arm leaning on the door handle and his hand messing with his lower lip.