BFDI 5: Bridge Burning

(A/N: I purposefully skipped over episodes 3 and 4 because they would have been too boring/repetitive. If you need a better reminder on why I'll be skipping a few episodes, re-read my notes at the end of chapter 1.)

May 1st, 2010

"Girls, look! I stole the test answers from the Announcer! Let's use these to get high scores, but make sure to get two wrong on purpose so he doesn't suspect anything

"Girls, look! I stole the test answers from the Announcer! Let's use these to get high scores, but make sure to get two wrong on purpose so he doesn't suspect anything."
~~~
"Match, maybe we shouldn't play Spongy Cake with our mini selves. You could start a fire..."
~~~
"We should make a cake that looks like the Announcer — that'll guarantee a high score from him!"
~~~
"That dirt isn't gonna work, Coiny. Here's five bucks; go get a strawberry slice from Leafy instead..."

Every time Pencil thought back to something she'd said or done in a previous contest, a small smile would appear on her face. Things had been going quite well. FreeSmart had gone four contests in a row without losing, and not only did she have two Win Tokens, but she'd helped Bubble and Match each score one as well. If I keep doing this, there's no WAY I won't win Dream Island.

She rubbed her hands together as both teams approached the bridge for the contest. If I remember correctly, Pencil recalled, the only reason this bridge broke was because Snowball threw Rocky at Golf Ball and hit the bridge instead. But that bozo brain just left the competition, which means it's safe!

...still better to be cautious, though. "Hey Bubble, Firey," she called out. "You two are the lightest people on our team. You should go first!"

"Oi guess that moikes sense," Bubble agreed. She followed Firey and began to cross the deep chasm. Oh yeah, this'll be a piece of Announcer cake, thought Pencil.

Then something quite unfortunate happened. Firey tripped on a tiny gap between two of the wooden planks and smacked his face against the bridge. It was immediately set ablaze, destroying itself within a matter of seconds. Bubble popped, and Firey fell screaming towards the water far, far below.

As Pencil and Match gawked at Firey's shrinking form, Leafy noticed Pen pointing out a second bridge to the right. Turning to Ice Cube, she asked, "Icy, do you still want revenge?"

To her relief, Icy shook her head. "How's this: I'll help you cross the bridge."

"Ooh, ooh!" Flower jumped over. "I wanna come, too!"

"Sure! Let's all go together!"

Despite Icy's dislike of Flower, she reluctantly followed them onto the wooden bridge. Pen and Eraser soon came on board behind them, and seeing them arrive, Flower pushed past Leafy and Icy. "That Win Token is MINE!" she crowed.

Her cries of triumph attracted the attention of everyone else. They stared as Pen, Leafy, Icy, and Eraser all made it across. "How long has that second bridge been there?" Tennis Ball questioned.

Pencil snapped out of her shocked state and pointed dramatically. "Everyone, onto that bridge!"

"Wait!" cried TB. "Too many people at once will break it!"

But his protests went unheard. Eight objects charged towards the chasm and simultaneously climbed onto the bridge, making it sag dangerously. "Yes!" Coiny cheered as he made it through unscathed, Match and Pin right behind him.

Then Snowball — who was in last — stepped on, and that was the final straw. The bridge broke from Snowball's end, taking him, Pencil, and Rocky with it. Needle and Teardrop leapt forwards at the last possible second and landed safely on the other side, barely avoiding a terrifying fall.

"Hold it, hold it," the Announcer spoke. "Five people from each team crossed, which means it's currently a tie. But since Tennis Ball is the only other person still on the first side, and there's no way he could cross now, we need a tiebr-"

"WAIT!"

Curious at the interruption, the Announcer glanced across the gorge to see Pin frantically waving at him. "We can still get Tennis Ball across!" she called out.

"Hmm." The host was skeptical. "I seriously doubt that. But I'd like to see you try."

Pin quickly turned to her teammates and began to tell them a plan. Soon, under her order, she had created a totem pole of sorts — Eraser at the bottom, Pen standing on him, Pin standing on Pen, and Leafy at the very top. Each object was holding the legs of the one above them. Poor armless Ice Cube was left out. "Now, Eraser!" Pin shouted.

Eraser let himself topple forward, making sure to keep his feet on the edge. The others fell with him. Just as they were about to go past the point of no return, Leafy grabbed the other edge of the canyon, locking herself in place. Together, the four of them formed a living bridge.

Gingerly, Tennis Ball stepped onto Leafy's back. She grunted, but held tight. TB slowly and unsteadily continued to walk along his teammates' backs.

From the bottom of the chasm, Pencil and Snowball stared upwards in wonder. (Rocky had already sunk.) "No way," Pencil whispered.

After a very tense twenty seconds, TB planted his feet firmly on the opposite side of the rift. "I... I did it!"

"Wow!" The Announcer was about as shocked as everybody else. "Incredible. You've truly impressed me. With that, the Squishy Cherries have finally landed a victory, so someone from FreeSmart will be going home next episode."

Eraser's legs felt wobbly from holding the others up. "Uh, Announcer thing? I think I'm starting to slip."

"Don't worry, Eraser. You've already won. You can let go."

"Oh good." And with that, he dropped like a stone, taking his teammates with him.

Outraged, Pencil threw her arms into the air in disbelief, accidentally whacking Snowball in the face. "They can't win like that! This isn't fair!"

"Hey!" complained Snowball, smacking her back. "Don't hit me!"

Pencil slapped him again. "Don't hit me!"

Snowball growled, and the argument devolved into a sissy fight, which promptly ended when the majority of the Squishy Cherries landed on top of them.

[Current Win Token count: Pencil x2, Firey x1, Match x1, Bubble x1, Leafy x1, Flower x1]

why are there no good synonyms for "bridge" in this context. I'm tired of using that word. fuck

also sorry for not uploading this chapter sooner. it's been fully written for a while, I just completely forgot 💀