Tamarin's Library

Tamarin's POV (sorta)

"C'mon!" Anemone called, her voice filled with excitement. Anemone pulled Tamarin down the hall, followed by Sunny and Fatespeaker. 

Tamarin knew Anemone would never tell her, but as they went deeper and deeper into the mountain, Tamarin had to ask. "Where are we going?" 

"It's a surprise!" Anemone said. She paused to catch her breath. Tamarin sighed. 

It was the last day of summer break and she was rushing to finish her summer homework when Anemone kidnapped her. Even though Webs was the only teacher that had assigned anything she was still drowning in homework. He'd assigned a historical fiction novel-which Anemone had read to her-along with a reading comprehension and an essay. Writing essays was awful because she couldn't see anything she was writing.

Suddenly she noticed something. 

It was oddly quiet

They obviously had left part of the main school. It had been dead silent except for the pitter patter of their feet. As she replayed the turns they had made she couldn't remember any of them being part of the main school portion of the mountain.

After a few moments, the group continued walking down the halls. Sunny and Fatespeaker took the opportunity to share some embarrassing stories about Starflight.

"Once he ate Six Jalapeno peppers all at once!" Sunny chuckled.

"It's hard being blind! He probably didn't know what he was eating," Tamarin defended him.

"He wasn't blind at the time!" 

Everyone dissolved into laughter.

"Once he heard me talking to Tsunami and assumed I was Sunny. I didn't tell him otherwise," Fatespeaker laughed. Tamarin heard the thud of Sunny landing on the ground. She was literally rolling with laughter. This made Tamarin giggle even more. 

Anemone pushed them all forward with sass. Tamarin could feel her rolling her eyes. They stepped into another room.

She could feel the openness of the small area so she assumed it was another cave. They hadn't left the mountain yet. The cool air brushed over her scales. Even though she couldn't see anything in the room she could tell it was darker. 

A gravelly voice greeted them. Stonemover! Tamarin had heard that Sunny's dad lived in the mountain, but she had never met him. She'd been too afraid to wandered down the tunnels alone. And even more afraid to ask someone to guide her. 

"Hi dad!" Sunny called cheerfully. "This is Fatespeaker, my friend, and two students Anemone and Tamarin." 

Tamarin gave a sheepish wave, wanting to be polite. However, she didn't know if she was waving in the right direction. She blushed. 

Anemone gently pulled Tamarin forward and placed her hand on something. The outside was cold and smooth but when she opened it the inside was light and felt like the paper she'd touched in lessons. 

She faltered and scrunched her nose up in confusion. "Scrolls?" she asked. "Why did you bring me here to touch scrolls?"

Anemone giggled, a high musical sound. "It's a special library for you and Starflight. It was actually Stonemover's idea-he wants more visitors, so we thought if there was a nice, quiet cave for dragons to have peace and quiet it might attract more visitors. So we hollowed out the cave and-"

Sunny interjected. "The library doesn't just have normal books, we have books for dragons like you. Or blind dragons. It was originally for Starflight but Anemone thought you could use it too. Some books are in B.R.A.I.L.L.E- short for Banana, Risque, Alps, Ismil, Leatherback, Light and Evergreen. They're a group of inter-sub-species dragons who want to make Pyrhhia a better place through learning! Hybrids! Like me! Anyways B.R.A.I.L.L.E is a language of bumps and dents on the paper, so it's read by touch."

Tamarin ran her hand over the scroll again, beaming with happiness. She pulled another scroll out and felt the large printed B.R.A.I.L.L.E on the cover. 

"Wow," she breathed. She continued to stroke the book as Anemone explained what the cave looked like now.

A series of lightning bugs were caught in jars. They hung across the walls, giving off a harmless light. There was a bean bag chair and two large pillows-though Stonemover had claimed one. Permanently. A large rug had also been placed down in the middle of the floor. Bookshelves surrounded them on all sides. 

Tamarin picked up the scroll and felt her way across the room. The walls were rough and hard, just like the rest of the school. She finally plopped down on a beanbag chair and opened the scroll. 

The page was filled with words of all sorts. Words she couldn't read. 

"Can you teach me?" She asked hopefully. 

Anemone sat down next to her. She took her hand and showed her the first letter. "This is an A." 

And slowly, letter by letter they went through the Alphabet.

Together. 

The image is by Shinobiifox on Deviant Art. 

This chapter was written by Book Owl and edited by Legend Kitten.

A note from the editor: 

This chapter was crazy! I mean try writing from a blind person's pov!

IT IS SO INSANELY DIFFICULT!

I literally had to walk around my house blindfolded!

Anyway, I feel like we've been doing a lot of anemarin. Please request some other ships if you get bored.

BYE!