Chapter 05

Rosa's POV I drove to a diner called 'The Lodge' where dad said to meet him

Rosa's POV
I drove to a diner called 'The Lodge' where dad said to meet him. I parked in front of a homey looking cafe and entered after locking my car.

I found dad sitting in the back and walked over. Bella came in just as I was sitting down. She huffed and walked over to us reluctantly and sits with us. A woman appears with a tray and brightly smiles at us "Hi! I'm Cora. You probably don't remember me, I haven't seen you girls since you were kids" she says as she sets a sirloin steak in front of dad. She proceeds to set a plate of fried cod with potato chips in front of Bella and a bacon cheeseburger with pickles, lettuce, ketchup, and mayo with a side of fries and BBQ sauce to dip in front of me.

She beams at Bella and I as she sets out drinks in front of us. Bella simple glass of water and my strawberry milkshake. Dad got a bottle of beer. Several loggers at the counter offer us welcoming smiles. Bella ignores them and picks at her food in disgust. She hates everything except for vegetables and grilled chicken. Charlie's to all of this oblivious. I smile back at the loggers and nodded in greeting.

"Can't get over how grown up you two are. And so gorgeous!" Cora says. Bella puffs up at the praise while I glanced at dad, who keeps his eyes on his steak. A blush across his cheeks and he refuses to look up at Cora out of shyness. The gears turn in my head and I smirk 'Mission acquired'. A bearded, hippy logger, appears behind Cora, leaning over her shoulder to look at Bella and I.

I cringed when I recognize him as Waylon Forge. Waylon is in his 50s with balding brown hair and eyes. My father has known him for 30 years and every Christmas he would dress up as Santa and give kids mosaic glass bottles with lights inside of them.

 My father has known him for 30 years and every Christmas he would dress up as Santa and give kids mosaic glass bottles with lights inside of them

"Member me, honey's? I was Santa one year" He asks. Once again I cringed at the smell of alcohol on his breath and the pet names. Dad notices my discomfort and places a hand on my shoulder "Waylon, they haven't had a Christmas here since they were four" dad retorts "Bet I made an impression, though" Waylon slurs "You always do" dad says as he rolls his eyes "Plumber Santa will forever haunt my childhood" I mumbled loud enough for Cora and dad to hear making them snicker while Bella looks over in confusion.