Chapter 15~ Wish Upon a Fish

Sunlight peeled my eyes open. The sound of water lapping against sand, cool waves tickling my toes. I sat up and prodded at my sides, but the bags were full.

"I changed them." Sean said still laying beside me. Eyes closed and stretching his feet toward the water. "Before they got too low. You had two more in your backpack." he peeked an eye at me "you sleep like the dead. You know that?" his voice had warmed, just a bit too loud. Back to normal then. Pretend it didn't happen. The wrongness sat like a rock in my stomach but I forced a smile.

"Thanks." I sat up and he followed. The sun was too high. We were definitely late for school, but Sean just stood, stretched and threw his shirt and pants aside.

"Let's swim." he ran into the water and I sent a quick message on my near dead phone to my mom with as little information as possible just.

Friend emergency and will be home later today.

She texted back an ok which meant she just wasn't happy but how could I tell Sean I was gonna head home where my mom had probably been up worrying about me all night. Instead, I peeled my shirt off and kicked my pants off and left my tank on. As much as I liked Sean the way he stared at my legs without a tail I didn't want him to scrutinize my gills or make him feel worse for not having them. I pulled off my water pouches and dove in after him. My lungs sealing and my gills taking over. Just like that. Years of being human erased by a part of me I didn't think I'd ever have to meet. I pushed my own sorrow down and focused on Sean, he needed me to be a good friend right now. I could sulk later for having something he'd give anything for.

Sean drifted in the water. I kept my body under so the water would lift my shirt enough to let my gills work freely. Closing his eyes, he let the water pull him this way and that while I bobbed above the waves beside him. Heat from the sun warmed my face while the ocean kept me cool. Sean let all his air out and sank down into the water. Eyes still closed he looked more relaxed than I had ever seen him before. The ocean washing away his fears. Holding him in her arms and chasing away his sorrow. The ocean was always good at making you forget. Anytime I got in the water I forgot I had legs. Sean resurfaced and sighed, completely back to normal. Maybe he really didn't have a clear recollection of it. I had to struggle to remember at times. If I wanted to, I imagine it would be easy to slip beneath the waves and never look back. Never have to face anything you didn't want to.

"You're so lucky." He breathed he opened his eyes and immediately found mine. His were even bluer in the water and those endless pools dropped right down to my gills even though he couldn't see them through my shirt. Even though he wouldn't be able to get a good look through the water.

"Wanna trade?" I try to joke but his eyes snapped to mine only to flash with hurt the next second. Stupid I bit my tongue

"If..." he pressed his mouth shut.

"If what?" I asked.

He glanced between my eyes and my gills as if he would be able to see them through my shirt. "If..." he swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing. "If you could give me your gills. Would you really?"

"One hundred percent." I answered but as the words left my lips I wasn't sure they were true. To not spend hours under water. Not be able to hang out with Bay anymore. A few months ago, that answer would have been true but Sean grinned and swam backward.

"You're a good friend." He said which made me feel like an even crappier friend because I wasn't sure if I just lied to him or not.

"I'm trying." That honesty eased my guilt a bit and Sean went back to floating among the surf. I sank down into the water, letting it consume me. At least for now. Right then, I could just forget.