1-4: The Body

I got home late, probably close to midnight. My mom was sitting on the couch, watching the news about Will. "Byers' body was found in the water of this quarry by state police earlier this evening. It was discovered by state trooper David O'Bannon, just after dark. The state police are mounting an investigation to determine Byers' cause of death, but an initial inquiry..." The man on the news continued. I shut the front door behind me and my mom looked up at me, her expression softening as she let out a sigh of relief. 

"Hey." I mumbled, trying to cheer up for my mom but my voice wouldn't let me. 

"Did you hear about the kid?" My mom asked. I nodded my head, my words almost stuck in my throat.

"Yeah... Yeah. I, uh, I actually saw the scene." I nodded my head a little bit, trying not to begin tearing up. Hell, I didn't even know this kid, and yet I was going on a wild goose chase with a bunch of middle schoolers and a girl with superpowers to find him. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, sweetie." My mother exclaimed, getting up from her spot on the couch to come and give me a hug. I wrapped my arms around her tightly. She always knew how to cheer me up, or knew what I wanted or needed in the perfect moments. I sunk into her arms and buried my head into her shoulder, letting my eyes water a little before I pulled away from her grasp. I quickly wiped away the tears and gave my mom a smile. 

"Thanks. It's fine." I told her briefly, making my sentences short as to avoid my voice cracking. She tilted her head and gave me the "you can talk to me" look, but I just shook my head. I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and went into my room to try and sleep instead. It's been a long day. 

~

I couldn't sleep very well with all of the built up tension. The boys were arguing and Will had just been found, so it was hard to clear my mind. Morning eventually rolled around and I got up out of bed, ready to get dressed for school, until my walkie talkie began speaking.

"(Y/n), do you copy?" I heard Lucas' voice speak out of the radio. I picked it up and pressed a button on the side of the walkie. 

"Yeah. Yeah, I copy." I yawn.

"Mike wants to meet at his place. Says it's urgent. Over." 

"Urgent? Is this about his funeral?" I asked. I didn't get a response back. "Uh, Lucas?" 

"You're supposed to say "over" when you're done talking. Over." He responded, sounding annoyed.

"Oh. Alright, then. Over." 

"No, it's not about his funeral. Just get to Mike's before he throws a tantrum. Over and out." Lucas left the station and I sighed, lowering the antenna. My mom had already left the house, so it looked like I would just have to skip school today without an excuse. I got ready and got in my car to drive over to the Wheeler's. 

~

We all sat on the floor around the makeshift fort while El played with the static on the radio.

"We keep losing the signal, but you heard it, right?" Mike asked the group. I shrugged, not really sure what I was listening to. 

"Yeah." Lucas started. "I heard a baby." 

"What?" Mike questioned. 

"Mike, you obviously tapped into a baby monitor. It's probably the Blackburn's next door." Lucas continued.

"Uh, did that sound like a baby to you?" Mike asked sarcastically. "That was Will!" 

"Mike..." Lucas interrupted.

"Lucas, you don't understand. He spoke last night. Words! He was singing that weird song he loves. Even El heard him!" 

"What song?" I asked.