3-4: The Sauna Test

The next morning came with the gang all discussing what we saw last night in the back room of the Scoops Ahoy. Dustin had went back up to the roof earlier this morning to get a better view of what was going on. Steve and Robin sat at the small table across from one another while I leaned up against the wall as Dustin spoke to us, pacing back and forth. 

"That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun. Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it." 

"But there's gotta be a way in." Robin said as she stared down at the table. Steve leaned back in his chair and spun his hat around in his hand. He sat back upright and blew into his hat. 

"Well, you know," He began before he leaned into the table. "I could just take him out." 

"Take who out?" Robin asked as she looked at Steve. 

"The Russian guard." Steve shrugged. Robin nodded slowly and I chuckled at his proposition. "What? I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his keycard. It's easy." 

"Yeah, maybe on a date." I remarked sarcastically. "Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" I reminded him. He looked my way and I could tell he was annoyed that none of us believed him.

"Yes, (Y/n), I did. And that's why I would be sneaking." He said as he traveled his fingers across the table slowly in a walking-type manner. 

"Well, please, tell me this, and be honest, have you ever actually... won a fight?" Dustin questioned as he crossed his arms. 

"Okay, that was one time--" Steve exclaimed as he threw his hand in the air in annoyance. 

"Twice. Jonathan. Year prior?" I interrupted him. 

"Listen, that doesn't count." Steve spat as he tried defending himself. 

"Really? If my memory serves me right, I'm pretty sure he beat the shit out of you and walked away with only a bruised cheek." I recalled the memory as I taunted Steve. 

"It was different, okay?" Steve began but Dustin started talking over him.

"You got a fat lip, crooked nose, swollen eye, a lot of blood. Lots of blood." Dustin listed while him and Steve talked over one another. 

"That just might work." Robin mumbled to herself before getting up from her seat and running out to the front of the shop. I watched her as Steve got up from his seat too to lean out the window. Robin grabbed the cash from the tip jar up front and ran out from behind the counter.

"Robin." Steve called out to her in confusion. When she continued running, he headed out of the door. "Hey! Robin! Hey, what-- what are you doing?" 

"I need cash." She quickly said as she turned to face him. 

"Well, half of that's mine." Steve complained. "Where are you going?" Dustin and I came out of the back room to watch where she was going.

"To find a way into that room, a safe way. And, in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up. I'll be back in a jiff!" She spat out before running in the opposite direction from us. We watched her leave before Steve glanced at Dustin, and I followed his gaze to see the curly-haired kid licking the ice cream scooper. 

"Oh, dude!" Steve exclaimed as he looked at Dustin in disgust. He snatched the scooper away from Dustin before spinning it in his hand and placing it into his pocket. "Come on, man, not my scooper."

~

A little while had passed since Robin left, and I was starting to feel antsy. Maybe it's just because I've been so on edge with our mission, but I couldn't get the thought of everyone's safety out of my mind. Maybe it's because we've already been through so much that the idea that something terrible could go down is inevitable. Steve worked the counter while Dustin and I sat in the back, waiting patiently for Robin's return.