11

83 years ago - may 10th 1940*brooklyn naval*

*brooklyn naval*

a day that was supposed to have been filled with happiness, warmth and never-ending love was now a day that was filled with tears, pain and never-ending internal heartache.

i have experienced a number of tragedies throughout my twenty four years on this planet but this day had defeated them all significantly; this day would forever hold the highest rank in my list of tragedies and this day would cause me pain for the rest of my fucking life.

i was eight years old when i came home to find my parents completely lifeless in our family living room and i was nine when i finally fount out that my mother was the one who had committed the horrific crime, that she had killed my father before she killed herself.

i saw my parents dead as a child and the pain that i felt back then was absolutely nothing compared to what i felt at in this very minute, nothing could ever possibly hurt as much as this, nothing.

i could physically feel my heart crack inside of my chest as i watched the love of my life sob into my shirt, i could physically feel my world fall apart as i stared into a space of emptiness unsure what to do with myself.

i held myself together as elora clung onto my arm, i held myself together as i held her tight against my bare chest, i held myself together as i wiped away her tears, i held myself together as i tried to soothe her pain.

we bathed in our pain as we waited.

we waited to be told that we'd never feel okay again, we waited to be told that our lives wouldn't ever be the same, we waited to be told that our world had fell apart.

i clung onto my wife as we waited, i clung onto her so tightly that my fingers had left small marks on her perfectly tanned arms, i clung onto her like she was going to slip away from me too.

i couldn't lose her as well, god please don't take her from me.

elora looked up at me, her eyes red and swollen as she placed her hand against the side of my face, catching a stray tear that i physically couldn't keep inside any longer.

"don't hate me james- promise you don't hate me, please." elora begged, fear lacing her broken voice.

hearing elora speak those words made me crumble, they made me want to pick her up and run until i couldn't anymore, they made me disintegrate; how could i possibly ever hate such a loving and warm soul?

i could never hate her, never ever.

"my darling, i could never hate you- nothing could ever make me hate you." i muttered against her forehead, running my hand across her back.