observer

This is from the perspective of a girl in Mike and Will's class. Pretend they still go to the same school.

Right around 7th grade I started gaining this massive crush on Will Byers. I'm not sure why, he was like the weirdest kid I've ever met. But for some reason, that made me like him more.

I would sit in class, chewing on my pencil eraser, observing the boy. He was always with his also nerdy friends: Mike Wheeler, Lucas Sinclair and Dustin Henderson.

I was partners with Lucas for a huge project in history a few years prior. He was actually a sweetheart but for some reason, I couldn't pull my eyes away from Will. He was partners with Mike. Every time.

That same year I started talking to Mike after we got sat next to each other in English. I thought if I got close to him, maybe I would get close to Will too. But it's like Will was shut off to everyone but his friends. Dustin, Lucas and Mike were like his barrier, protectors if you will.

That's one thing I noticed after watching them for so long. They depended on each other. I think they might've been the most interesting friend group I've ever encountered. Then again I didn't know much about any of them. And it stayed that way, for a long time.

Until one day during class Will fell asleep. Will Byers never sleeps during class. I leaned in to Mike. "What's wrong with Will?" I asked. "Oh uh... he just had a rough night." Mike shrugged. There was obviously something he wasn't telling me.

"Is he okay?" I asked, yet again. "Will is okay. He had a rough night with his dad, alright? Will didn't grow up the same way we did. But he's okay. He has us, we have each other. Everything is fine." Mike said, almost as if he's trying to convince himself.

I didn't know what to think of that. Mike had a little outburst for some reason. That's when I knew something was going on with these boys. I didn't know what it was but the party, or so they called themselves, was as strange as ever.

I grew this passion for them. I felt overwhelmed seeing them all at the same time, a good type of overwhelmed. I'm not sure why but it almost got to the point where I was obsessed with them.

I thought about them every night before bed. Not because I liked them, well yeah I liked Will, but not the other boys. Just the thought of seeing them all together, it made me happy. I felt as if I never really saw as pure as a relationship as they had before.

I wanted something like that. But every night the same words came back to me. 'Will didn't grow up the same way we did.'

That stuck with me, for a long long time. That made me think, what really goes on in Will Byers life? I couldn't stop thinking about Will and his friends. I felt like a little fan girl.

I made sure not to let anyone find out. I knew all my friends would make fun of me for liking the weird kid. Everyone said that Will Byers was gay. I didn't mind if he was, but it would hurt a little bit, him not liking me back.

When he went missing, I almost felt a little broken. I thought 'what if he dies and I never got the chance to tell him how I felt.' Then it was announced that he did die and I felt like a complete idiot.

He was gone for a week until it was announced he wasn't actually dead. I'm not exactly sure how that works but I heard some elaborate bullshit lie. Everyone knew it wasn't true but who's to argue. No one even dared to ask Will what happened.

In that week he was gone, I found my love for the party disappearing. It was fading and it hurt a little. Mike, Dustin and Lucas weren't the same after Will disappeared. I think only a person as interested as me would have noticed.